The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Linux On a Stick

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by fastbullet
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1163 times

fastbullet

I just ordered a Corsair 16GB flash drive from the Egg. It is the Flash Voyager model, but not the GT.
Specifications for the thing are as scarce as hen's teeth even on the Corsair site, except that it claims compatability with Linux 2.4 and above.

From the reviews on the seller's site, this stick is preformatted FAT32 and, depending on which "expert" you care to believe, it is anywhere from lightning fast to excruciatingly slow. On the other hand, C/NET (Australia) gave it an Editor's Choice Award. Go figure.

The entire purpose of getting this thing is to create a Linux-driven, mini-computer on a stick.

I would like some feedback from you all about recommended Linux distros you have used successfully/unsuccessfully from a flash drive. Any tips, tricks warnings or other guidance will be appreciated.

Finally, have you EXPERIENCED any problems with recently manufactured computers not being able to run a flash-driven OS?

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I have not tried installing Linux on a Flash Disk but from what I understand any flash disk can run any OS that is designed to boot from a USB Disk, the computer just needs to support booting from a USB disk.
All recent computers support booting from a Flash Disk.
It also doesn't matter what file system the drive comes formatted as because you can reformat it to the file system you need.

Posted 5 years ago

JDorfler
JDorfler

Try Unetbootin. I love it. You can use either the Linux version or the Windows version.

Posted 5 years ago

fastbullet

@JDorfler
I finally got a chance to look at Unetbootin and some of the other information within the Wikipedia and other linked pages. First, let me say, "WOW", and then Thank You Very Much for what appears to be an entire world of pertinent information. I can see that this undertaking is going to be much more complex and far more fun than I had imagined.
I'm sure I'll be back to this forum with further questions. I hope I'm fortunate enough to have you find me again.

Again, Thank you.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I run Fedora from a USB stick. It's a no-brainer but I keep nothing from the session on the stick. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/.....D/USBHowTo

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!