The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Linux Mint

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Coffeeguy
  • Latest reply from Coffeeguy
  • Topic Viewed 617 times

Coffeeguy

Hello all. I have XP on a desktop. I had downloaded Mint 14. Am trying it out. My question is , if I decide to install it , how long will it take to install? I have win7 on a laptop , so don't mind trying Mint 14 to see if I like it. Have restore disc for XP, so if anything goes wrong I can get XP back. Thanks for any help !

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It will depend on your PC - size of RAM and speed of Disk and CPU. But figure 30 minutes. If you check the updates, it may be a bit longer.

You may want to consider to install it in virtual. That is a lot less trouble. Here is what I did. And here is a demo of running Zorin (an Ubuntu derivative like Mint) in virtual.

Posted 1 year ago

Coffeeguy

WHS- Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry to take so long to get back to it , but had to take the LADY out for her birthday dinner. A few more questions on installing Linux. Right now three icons show on the desktop screen. One does say install Linux Mint. What happens when I click that icon? Also when the computer starts and I click on the option to start Linux, thats fine. Then I keep getting click the esc. button on the computer for more options. Is that normal? I have to do that when ever Linux comes up. One more question, if you don't mind. I really don't see much of a difference in the OS. In XP and win 7 on my lap top and now Linux. I have the same homepage, Firefox browser, same favorites , and such. To myself I think why am I trying Linux or any other system . By now I'm sure you know that I am not computer savvy. Can you give me some insight as to why I might try downloading Linux or Zorin . Thanks agin for letting me bend your ear a bit.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Regarding the icons tell me how you installed Mint and where do those icons show up - in Windows (I suppose) or in Mint.

Regarding your last question - it all depends what you are doing with your system. If you are mainly browsing the internet and do your mail, there is indeed little difference between XP, /7 and Linux - there is even little difference if you use Android on a tablet or iOS on the iPad. But if you do more serious work (video editing, Cad, or other advanced applications), there is a difference. Partly in terms of performance but also because of availability of programs.

Posted 1 year ago

Coffeeguy

Hi whs. Those icons show up on the left top side of Linux's desktop screen. I googled Linux and there was this one site I used to get Linux by way of using virtual clonedrive 5.4. There is a few posts below mine that was asking about that. I can't remember which one I clicked on to get Linux. was going to report it to him, but I'm no help in that . Think I'll delete LInux and stay with XP until it no longer works on this computer, and then go back to Linux/Ubuntu. Thanks again for all your help. Don't see where I can say I accept your answers and close this post. Bye.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!