• Started 2 years ago by chirag11
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1662 times

chirag11

how do i install linux on my existing windows 7os

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Best is to install it in Virtual Box or as a completely seperate OS on a different disk. Double boot is possible but always prolematic because of the Grub.

Posted 2 years ago

AdrianK-IT
AdrianK-IT

I simply don't get the 'it's too hard' responses that queries about dual-booting Windows and Linux always evoke on this forum. It's really quite easy nowadays! Many modern Linux distros eg LinuxMint12 are 'other OS friendly', because they include the os-prober utility (http://joeyh.name/code/os-prober/) so that all pre-existing OSs are detected and added to GRUB as possible choices.

Alternatively, it is easy enough to choose to install Grub to the root of the newly created Linux partition, mount the Windows partition, 'dd' the linux boot sector to a file called eg linux, then run bcdedit (which isn't hard to understand, run bcdedit /? a few times to learn the syntax) and add that file as a possible boot option to the Windows boot menu. (Then, when you boot Linux, you'll find you can boot back to Windows from the Grub menu, 'cos osprober has done its work!)

Needless to say, make sure you have a foolproof way of restoring your system to its pre-existing state before you attempt this sort of thing (it's irrelevant whether you're new to it or not, I'm an old hand but always backup first! It's easy to backup/restore the Windows boot aka bcd store before tinkering, using the export/import commands.)

I'll post more details of the specific commands to use if anyone is interested, based on LinuxMint12, and bcdedit on Vista/Seven.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I would say why dual boot when you can run them both at the same time. Hence VM's.

Posted 2 years ago

AdrianK-IT
AdrianK-IT

Why go through the hassle of VMs, when it's so simple to do it natively? How often do you need to run two OSs at once? I have both dual-boot and dual-VM PCs; the latter is useful for advice/development purposes, but pointless for normal PC use.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

If it is Ubuntu, you can use Wubi, which works like a program, but you boot into it

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

chirag11

If this is your first experience of linux then; http://www.ubuntu.com/download.....-installer is your best bet.

It installs as an app so if you don't get on with it Ubuntu can be uninstalled like any other program and not affect your windows installation.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Sarris
Sarris

Zorin will install dual boot automatically unless you specify otherwise. Zorin is a Windows 7 appearing front end for Linux Ubuntu.

You can see it here: Zorin

I tried it out for a couple of weeks on my laptop. It works well, but it IS Linux, not windows.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Sarris, zorin is a variant of linux/ubuntu
It is not related to Microsoft in anyway.

Zorin, ubuntu based, is the nearest you will get to a windows interface

Think about it!

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Sarris
Sarris

@ Mike, what I thought I said was that Zorin (a linux ubuntu variant) has a front end that looks like Windows 7.

The OP was asking about dual boot problems, and I was just pointing out that Zorin provides a very convenient dual boot installation option when installing on a Windows OS. It asks during install, no muss, no fuss.

I tried it for a couple of weeks on my laptop then uninstalled it. I'll stick to windows.

Sorry for any confusion.

Sarris

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If running a Multiple Hard Drive Machine, install each O/S on its own Hard Drive and use the Bios to multi-boot.

That way, one can run Windows in Raid Arrays and Linux on a separate non-array hard drive or SSD.

NO Boot Manager involvement so makes for a very simple setup.

I can see NO reason for Multi-Booting a Single Hard Drive Machine unless one uses the computer
strictly for experimentation.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!