The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

LInux for sony vaio

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by paragjain
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 870 times

paragjain

I am using sony vaio vpceh25en i installed ubuntu 12.04 but it has many problems related to brightness control and nvidia drivers.
It will be helpful if anyone suggest me which linux will be better to use.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Most linux distros have an iso image from which you can create a Live CD/DVD/USB. You can then boot off that media and test the OS on your machine to see if there are any hardware issues. With a laptop you may have some problems out of the box due to hardware. The only way to tell for sure what distro will work is to try the Live CD/DVD/USB.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Just out of interest you may find problems with Sony and laptops. Sony builds have very different drivers to mainstream models so there may be a driver issue within linux.

In the past I have successfully installed Zorin on sony; http://zorin-os.com/

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I am amazed that you can even run Linux on a Vaio. My last Vaio (which I returned) could not even run a live Linux CD.

Posted 1 year ago

paragjain

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried ubuntu , opensuse(even not able to boot with live usb) no one worked.

If i run it without better support, can there be any hardware issues which can cause serious problems?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The problem is the retarded Sony BIOS. Their answer is that the VAIO was only designed for Windows - which is a real joke. I had to write a letter to the Sony CEO to get my money back because their lower levels would not budge. It was a $1200 laptop, so no cheapo.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I never had a Sony lappie, nor have I done repairs for anyone who has one. After hearing whs experience with Sony I will steer clear.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.