How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Linux for beginners

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1374 times

whs
whs

This may be a good starter Linux for those that are afraid to wrestle with an "adult" system.
http://www.foresightlinux.org/.....s-1-0.html

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs why so much linux?? are you starting to be converted :) lol

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Not really. But I watch Linux with interest. It is useful for many things (e.g. recovering data from a dead system with Knoppix). Also, the day I want to buy one of those new mini laptops - many of those run on some kind of Linux (or XP - yuk).

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

I know your distaste for XP and respect your opinion.

However, I'm sure you realize that all that is missing from XP is a few files. (A Very Few)

If XP Service Pack 3 had just included 2-4 Sata HD files and the OEMs hadn't hidden the XP Machine Device Drivers on June 30th, then (More Than Half) of the questions and issues on HTG would be Moot Points.

These (2) very simple (Artificiality and Intentionally) created MS situations above, have been the cause for most all the ensuing consumer "havoc" You, I and Other Members constantly have to respond to.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, for me, XP just has this peanut butter taste (another yuk) that I am sure a lot of people love. But I don't expect everybody to have my taste.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

I totally agree with you.
All I'm saying is that MS implemented a business strategy of ARTIFICIAL FORCED O/S MIGRATION Which is Well Documented on the net and in business circles.
If MS had been ethical, their new products would have eventually replaced their old products (WITHOUT) FORCED MIGRATION just as new and better products coming to market (always) replace older products.
They got greedy just as the world financial markets did.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

service pack 3 was meant to make xp run worse so everyone would go to vista? or am i reading that wrong?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@0z,

You are Reading it Wrong.
SP3 is Very, Very Good.
MS just should have included in SP3 about (5) small files for SATA HD support.
SATA HDs have been around since 2005 or so.
They are not cutting edge new technology by any means.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!