How-To Geek Forums / Linux

linux build

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from fastbullet
  • Topic Viewed 1241 times

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

my final component should be here t'mar (as they say on the south side of columbus). ubuntu will be my operating system, but i was wondering if dual dvd burners was too much? or dual hard drives?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,

I don't think so.

When I was experimenting with Ubuntu, had to run multiple HDs for storage.

Just don't play with them in Raid when you begin.

Start off with a good stable known installation and go from there.

When experimenting, be sure you have some HD utilities to remove EXT formatting and so forth.

I'd be running multiple O/Ses right now but as they say south of Columbus; "just a lazy no account". (LOL)
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

that's funny. i tried the dual boot thing but found it caused too much trouble if something happened. not really trouble, but time consuming repairs. now i can feed my ubuntu addiction. what did you mean by this:

"Start off with a good stable known installation and go from there.
When experimenting, be sure you have some HD utilities to remove EXT formatting and so forth."

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,

I meant exactly what you said.

Start off with nothing fancy like dual booting, etc.

Just start with a simple installation of Linux as a single O/S.

Linux uses a hard disk format called EXT3 or 4.

Ensure, just in case you need them, you have HD utilities handy which can wipe, partition and format any HD.

That is why I always have a Floppy Drive installed with an old Dos Boot Disk with HD Utilities on it.

Faster method of starting over with a Clean HD than using Boot CDs and Boot USB Flash Sticks for us "no accounts".

Sudo Good Look !!
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

fastbullet

Weighing in on the dual burners and HDDs, I can tell you that the Machine I finished building about 8 months ago (this machine, in fact) has twin DVD burners and twin HDDs.

I have had a minor issue with the twin burners that is probably easily remedied by someone more savvy than I. These burners are identical twins so, when burning to disk it is not uncommon to get confused as to which deck the app is referring to. Brassero and everything else I have used only refer to the decks by model number, (instead of unit #1 and #2) and the model numbers are obviously the same. It gets a bit old, switching disks back and forth to figure which burner the app is referring to and it is not consistantly the same one (because that would be too easy). My most recent solution is to load both burners with blanks and let the freaking machine pick the burner it wants to use that day.

Beware the jumpers that are factory-installed on Barracuda SATA drives !! Do not trust or believe the stickers that are attached to the hard drives and state that (1) no jumpers are needed, and (2) they are only installed for factory testing. Both of my Barracudas had jumpers installed, contrary to the stickers. Because these jumpers slow the drives down and will not allow them to be ATAPI compatible and recognized, it will make you plum crazy. The only thing that salvaged my sanity was my doubt that even I could get two doa hard drives, and I therefore found the installed jumpers.

One last tidbit of advice. Do NOT order only enough sata cables to get by, or fail to have the proper HDD and disc drive screws on hand. If your OEM drives come with screws, it is much more a fluke than the norm. You will not be a happy geek if you have to stop at that point and hunt down those itty-bitty screws. As to the cables, yeah, I know it's a ripoff what they charge to ship the darn things. But trust me on this- swapping out that defective cable with one you had the foresight to already buy beats the fire out of standing out at the curb waiting for that big brown truck to arrive. (Do I need to tell you how I know this?)

raphoenix has you covered on the rest of the stuff you need, so have fun and good luck. Oh, yeah, and pray.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.