How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Linux bootable cd for boot from san servers

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by benmccloud007
  • Latest reply from benmccloud007
  • Topic Viewed 3571 times

benmccloud007

Background:
I work for a large network, and we have many boot from san windows servers. We had an issue recently with one of the servers, and windows was erroring and locking up every time it would display any information at all about a particular drive. We needed to get some data off of that drive before even attempting a rebuild. We tried using a WinPE disk, but we were getting the same problem. I had surmised that if we had a bootable linux disk with the HBA drivers loaded on it, we could boot the server and still see the drives, but not have the restrictions and ailments of windows.

Question:
Since the Editor of this website is the virtual lexicon of all computer related knowledge, I was wondering how to make a bootable linux disk, that I could install drivers on beforehand, specifically HBA drivers, and be able to use this disk on a boot from san server to see the drives in the san array.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

The first question would be whether the specific SAN provider has linux drivers... I would assume so, but could be wrong.

I happen to work with two of the best SAN engineers on the east coast (seriously), so I will ask them for their insights tomorrow and follow up.

You can always just send me an IM, you know =)

Posted 6 years ago

stevemarfisi

Boot those computers from SAN using standard ethernet NICs using our winBoot/i or netBoot/i product. You can present a menu of alternative (safe / clean) operating systems (Windows or Linux) should your primary OS be rendered unusable. Once up - mount the SAN disks via local OS initiator and repair away.

Steve Marfisi
emBoot Inc.

Posted 6 years ago

benmccloud007

I know, but I'm at work and they restrict the IM'ing, as well as Gmail... :-( commies...

on a side note, I am now one of the best SAN admins in the largest private network in the world. Attrition is a funny thing...

Posted 6 years ago

benmccloud007

Oh yeah, Emulex LP-9802 HBAs... they have linux drivers. I guess I was mainly wondering how to go about building the linux boot disk, where you can install whatever programs and drivers you desire, then turn it into a bootable ISO. I looked around a bit online, but I couldn't see any good online how-to guide... sounds like a job for the How-to Geek!!!

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

That does sound like a great article topic... it's not the simplest process in the world, but I could probably wrap an article around it.

Will work on it, and ping you when I post it.

So... if you are the best admin in your network, how many admins are there? Is it best out of 3? =P

Posted 6 years ago

benmccloud007

haha... no, we have a few more than 3... they just don't like to pay what quality SAN people should be getting... I mean, when you have 5 different SAN technologies, DELL/Microsoft Clustering, DELL/Microsoft Clustering with EMC attached Hardware, EMC Celerra, Clariion and Symmetrix (versions 1 and 2), and NetApp on EMC Symmetrix... it's just way too much skill required for 50-60k. In norfolk, however, it's not liek you can find another good paying SAN job, like it is in Herndon. Basically, all the good people left, and I am still here, along with some new people... I'm the cream of the crap

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.