How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Linux

(28 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by newagepirate
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 3275 times

newagepirate
newagepirate

Lately, I have been getting different thoughts about whether linux is good or bad, so I was wondering if someone could give me a link or at least some information about linux that can help me understand it a little more.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Reading is good, trying it out is better. Use Wubi that the Geek often recommends. No need for dual boot or anything fancy. Runs like an application on Windows. http://wubi-installer.org/

Posted 6 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

I know you said that, but I dont have a good computer right now, and Im not sure what specs I need to run it

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Those are the system requirements: 256 MB memory, 5 GB harddisk space, Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista
PS: you could have started by reading the link. Those specs were right there.

Posted 6 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

Oh, sorry. Thanks for the specs, Ill try that and get back to you. But I have a question. Do I have to download ubuntu also or just wubi?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Just Wubi

Posted 6 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

Oh cool, thanks

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Note though that you need a host operating system - any of the above mentioned. Because it behaves like an application.

Posted 6 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

I have xp so it should be just fine

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

OK, that sounds great.

Posted 6 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

Ill probably post monday and tell you how it went, if I get time to do it this weekend

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

and the most popular linux os would probs be ubuntu but it really depends on what you are going to be using it for.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yes you do need to download Ubunto, but Wubi does it for you (you have a choice of which Linux's it can download).
It sets up a dual boot system, with no need for repartitioning.

Posted 6 years ago

JKay
JKay

yes but in the installer doesnt wubi give you a choice of a partition? On the part where it wants to set aside 8-30 gigs for linux?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It doesn't create a partition. Just creates a folder, like when you install any s/w

Posted 6 years ago

JKay
JKay

So if I use wubi and run ubuntu with it, I'm still getting all my resources sucked by vista?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Um..no. You either boot into Vista OR Ubuntu. Not both at the same time

Posted 6 years ago

JKay
JKay

Wow I didnt know you could have both installed on the same partition, sorry for the questions, I've tried to use wubi, I have the installer but I dont have the patience with the slow internet here to download the 700g file for ubuntu... I'll have to try it in a week when I get home for vacation.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Usually you can't have two OSes installed on the same partition. Wubi works by installing Ubuntu to a disk image that is stored in the partition.
The disk image being c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks for the explanation jd.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.