How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Linksys router as a WiFi extender

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Solitary7
  • Latest reply from Solitary7
  • Topic Viewed 543 times

Solitary7

Hi geeks!

Just updated internet with my provider and they installed a new N router. I decided to use my old linksys wrt54g router as an extender but now I cannot figure out how to actually log into it.

I tried connecting it directly to the laptop and it wouldn't work. Then i connected it to the N router via ethernet and was able to access it at 192.168.1.1 but i forgot the password. I tried to reset it and now can't connect to it.

Please help!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You need to reset the router(s) and then look up on a Google search for the default ID and password for each. When you get your new N router set up again then connect your old router as a switch. Do not plug anything into it's WAN port connect it LAN to LAN. But, first connect to it sign in and disable DHCP. That was all IPs will come from the N router. I might also be advisable to change it's base IP to 192.168.2.1 to differentiate it from the N router.

Posted 1 year ago

Solitary7

So confused.

The new N router is already set up. So i should connect linksys to the new one by LAN to LAN?

Posted 1 year ago

Solitary7

Okay so i connected it to by LAN with the new router and now see the dd wrt router on my network. But still can't get into its interface.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

What are you doing to get into it? you attach a wired computer and type it's IP into your browser. You may need to disconnect the N router while you do this.

Posted 1 year ago

Solitary7

So i have to remove the N router completely? With a new set up its not just a router, its like a super modem now.

Posted 1 year ago

Solitary7

okay, thank you for your time, i figured it out now

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!