The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Lines of color across screen

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by paulf22
  • Latest reply from mnpeep
  • Topic Viewed 808 times

paulf22

Hello. My laptop has an issue where the screen randomly turns into a bunch of lines of color then turns black. The only way to turn it off is to hold the power button. When I turn it back on I see the windows loading screen then a few lines of color appear then the screen turns black. I left the computer alone over night and in the morning I was able to get into windows. I thought all my problems were solved but after about half an hour the screen went crazy again but then just turned off. I booted into safe mode and ran the memory diagnostic tool and there were no reported problems. I also went into the BIOS and ran a hard drive test scan with no report problems. I booted into safe mode again and then after a few minutes the same thing happened where it shows a bunch of lines of color and was pixelated. I would guess there is a problem with the graphics card. How can i determine if this is the case? What other causes are there for this behavior? Any help would be appreciated.

My computer is an HP Pavilion dv9260us. I currently have windows 7 rc1 installed as my os.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Try plugging in an external monitor and see if it still happens.

Posted 4 years ago

mnpeep
mnpeep

We have a laptop that had similar problems.
we had random lines going across the screen.
The way we solved it was by banging the screen a couple of times.
It is also a Pavilion.
My guess is that it has some loose wires

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!