The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

LibreOffice/Shadow Copy?? help recovering a file

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Otter
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2108 times

Otter

So, I was transferring a bunch of files from a flash drive to my computer, saving Word documents as ODT documents as I went. One happened to have the same name as an existing document in another folder and instead of just saving the .doc as .odt, it overwrote the other file in the other folder as well. How can I get that file back??

I am running window's Vista, but only just learned about shadow copies today as I searched desperately for a way to recover my file, but I can't find any that date before 7/13/12 - when I bought this computer. The lost file is a LibreOffice document, and I have it set to autosave as I work, but I can't figure out how to undo the last modification (the overwrite) to get back the original version (what it was supposed to be)

I am kicking myself. I could care less about the file I was getting from the flash drive, I want back the file it accidentally overwrote!

A huge, massive thank you to anyone who can help!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....identally/ Have a read through this. Overwritten files may not be recoverable. Worth a try though. Good luck.

Posted 1 year ago

Otter

It didn't work.
What kills me is that the old document is in Recent Changes, but I can't figure out how to open the old one from there.
It is also in recent documents - the rest are C:\User\ etc. This is as F:\ NameofFile.

I am going nuts. It is THERE! Is it really this hard to be a hacker these days, simple overwrite and then gone forever?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Unless someone else here has any other ideas, I think it is gone forever. Unless you want to spend huge money for professional recovery, which may not be guaranteed either.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

What happened to the original files? Should it not be on the source drive / stick? still?

Why did you change the ext when copying?

The overwrite, as it were wiped the original document. There should always be a copy of the original, not difficult because the file size is minimal. I would think now that the originals are unrecoverable whatever program you use to recover.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If you have restore points from the time before you overwrote the file, you can recover the file with Shadow Explorer ( http://www.shadowexplorer.com/ ).

If you need some instructions how to use Shadow Explorer, here is a little tutorial I made a long time ago. The procedure is the same for Vista and Windows7.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!