The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

@LH or @Rick efi bios vs standard bios

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jmeeks49
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 356 times

jmeeks49

As both of you know i have a disability well, tonight my dell xps 9100 started to make a loud noise so, i had to call dell support which luckily i have and told them i thought it was a fan going out on the power supply. Well, they did a software upgrade on my bios and it stopped for 2 hrs. then, i called them back and they are sending me out a techie to install a new mb, i guess my question to both of you is with my disability would a efi be better to run than a standard?

john

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

If you mean this John,
http://www.extremetech.com/com.....eplacement
Then I have no idea.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

All Builder Mother Boards use UEFI Bioses now because of the 100s of settings and timings which may be adjusted on platform devices.

They have a Simple Mode and Advanced Mode due to their complexity.

Not sure which OEMs use them and what Prebuilt machines have them as OEM machines have notoriously had very few user settings and options available in their Bioses.

If on can click a mouse or minimally peck the key board plus has enough low vision to see a VGA mode screen, then they can set up a UEFI Bios without difficulty.

As for flashing, there are several methods which can be used to apply upgrades and all UEFI Bioses can be recovered unless there is something wrong with the hardware itself.

A UEFI Bios is most Definitely Better than the old standard Bios.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49

Yes @LH it is,

@Rick, when i questioned dell about upgrading to UEFI they said that my system couldn't be upgraded to that because my mb couldn't handle it which is strange because my system is not but a year old. is there any work around of upgrading it? i don't want to bricked the damn thing just a easier way to get around.

John

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

John,

No work around, the mother board must be designed from scratch to be compatible with UEFI software bios.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49

ok so, it's looks like a third party mb will be bought in the future.

john

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

John, Dell is going to replace the defective part with an exact replacement part. They don't make changes from the spec'd system.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.