How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Let's solve it once and forever! XP vs 7

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by luinox86
  • Latest reply from luinox86
  • Topic Viewed 1118 times

luinox86

Hi guys,

I have been struggling a lot about this. I know the benefits of Windows 7, but I really like Windows XP! The question is that, is it safe to use XP in 2012 (an on-wards!)?

Specs: My laptop is not old, its a Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 1GB ATI graphics and overall (so is my PC, a bit more powerful), it can handle Windows 7 perfect. But the matter is that I can't get along with Windows 7, I don't like its appearance and the performance on my machine, it loses its power over 3-4 months and becomes a slow OS (I know it happens on XP as well, but it lasts longer and trimming it really helps).

Speed: I don't care about 'booting speed' or 'shutting down speed', whats the point? 3 minutes more waiting does not hold me back at all!
Security: I use Bitdefender Internet Security on one machine and Kaspersky Internet Security on the other one, both firewall and virus protections configured based on my 'geek' style knowledge. Is it still unsafe on XP? Also I don't visit risky web pages at all.

Features:
1. XP Mode: If I already have XP what's the point?!
2. Backup: Windows backup, I use other software like Acronis True Image even on windows, data backup, I always believe my own manual way more than anything and less confusing!
3. BitLocker: it is a pain to lock a whole drive and enter password every time I wanna access, so even on 7, if there are important data, True Crypt is my first choice.
4. Network sharing, printer sharing and network backup: never used, and if I really need, there are always alternative ways to get what I need to do on XP.
5. Support for hardware: I have all the drivers I need or I can download in a second.
6. New game and software compatibility: This could be considerable, but I really use a limited number of applications relevant to my work and study. Games...? haven't played for years.. but I like to have the opportunity!

Microsoft Support: I use Windows updates and it goes until 2014, more than enough for me! until then I will re-think about changing to 7 or sticking with XP. I like XP for at least the remaining two years.

Current system: Dual boot 7 and XP.

Okay geeks, lets discuss to get this done, with the details above, is it safe to stick with XP in 2012?

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

luinox86,

From my point of view i would have to say no because with all of the updates that you need for XP by (i think) 2014 microsoft will stop rolling out updates for XP therefore if you keep using it you will be wide open to services attacks i would stick with 7 personally.

John

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

luinox86

What about using XP up to 2014? For sure I will re-install my OS by then at least a few times. I may switch to 7 sometime about 2014.

The main point is that, what is the real benefit of 7 over XP in addition to what I mentioned in my first post (considering updates are there up to 2014 and lets consider using XP until 2014).

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

John, I think ONLY security fixes are going out for XP now, not bug fixes, and if there are any, they seem to be far and few between.

MS likes to bridge one OS, that is letting 'you' skip one OS release. Yes, that would mean Vista, but Vista was 'evil' in the eyes of many. I think the extension for XP was done to allow one to go to W8, Not W7, as W8 should be out at least a year, and possibly firmly entrenched when XP is off support (but will still work).

So this might be XP vs. W8...

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi Ali ,

Technically you can use XP for some time after 2014 as long as certain elements are usable such as browsers, programmes for older machines etc.

Although in terms of how secure the two OS's are you just have to look at the Win Firewall for example XP is an extremely basic and limited FW whereas 7 has a more complex (by comparison) set of features .
If 7 has XP mode functionality then you are getting the best of both worlds in one OS, so you can still use older progs with the knowledge that you are far more secure in terms of general updates.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

@Irv, my point to the OP was that XP with all of it's stability is going by the wasteside with W8 coming out and the stability of 7 i think win 8 will be stable but in back of my mind win 8 might be just a patch sort of a deal like windows me was suppose to be for 98 then XP came out to head off consumers who had bought windows me and had problems with me trust me i was one of them. Yeah, security fixes might be the only thing that it does now but after they dry up you still will be screwed so why not just go to 7 or 8 and just be done with everything?

@GS, i agree with most everything you said. As i said in the above post to Irv after the security fixes everything will be open after that but as far as the FW goes yeah 7 is more advanced so why hold on to to XP with all of the holes that the OP is going to have after 2014?

John

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Really no solving necessary. XP will soon be a Dinosaur like Windows 95, 98, and ME among others. It will by it's very nature get slower, and slower, and slower. It will not be able to run the latest software and just is not designed to handle the more modern applications.

It's kicking and screaming time, folks.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Actual is a Moot Point Posting.

The OPs can use XP as long as their machine's hardware last.

When their hardware goes, then they will be forced to switch O/Ses because there will be no XP device support.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Xhi don't forget the bottle XP gets cranky if it is not fed on time like after 2014 LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

John

Posted 1 year ago

luinox86

Thanks jmeeks49, ispalten, GuiltySpark, Xhi and raphoenix,

So majority of you think that its still 'safe' to use XP (now), but you won't recommend it... You know I feel like a grandpa now because I don't feel comfortable to switch (and I'm 26 by the way!), I know 7 is way better than XP.

I think anyway sooner or later I will need to forget XP and get along with the new OS. So I have to force myself to get into 'liking' W7.

By the way, based on my experience with Microsoft, I always tend to wait a reasonable time before switching to a new production, W8 I mean. Something extra that wouldn't let me to even test it is that it feels like it has been designed for touch screen systems basically (with all the Metro and Start Menu issues and etc.). So I am not sure if it would satisfy me as a old style user (I have no touch screen device to date!).

I have read some stuff about 8, but not sure if it can be reliable yet. Have you guys tried that? Is it that good that you are ruling out 7 because of 8?

Just to be clear and out of the topic, it seems like that even with a security application (like Kaspersky or Bitdefender internet securities) and being careful about web browsing and the files you deal with, you guys wont still believe that it holds up the protection (because of OS security holes may be?). Am I right?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

"you guys wont still believe that it holds up
the protection (because of OS security holes
may be?). Am I right?"

Yes, to a point.

AV's can only do so much but if the OS is quite "open" to begin with then no AV is gonna help with "hackable vulnerabilities".

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Oh just Run Classic Shell with Windows 7 and it will be just the SAME as XP. :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/11116.....windows-8/

Also run Duplicate non-connected O/Ses plus make backups and don't worry so much about security
as nothing is safe anymore.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

luinox86

@GS,
Thanks man, yes, that's the point... why try to use a vulnerable 'thing' and try to protect it!

@Rick,
:)) nice man, I really like your phrase 'as nothing is safe anymore'. When you think deeply about it, it just seems like a can of worms and opening it more just increases the mess....

I think I will switch back to 7 and try to get along. I have tried Classic Shell by the way, some time ago. I can't remember why but I decided to remove it and just use Windows 7's classic theme instead. Maybe I will re-think about it.

Great guys, thanks. (and clear).
Ali.

Posted 1 year ago

luinox86

Wow, I cannot accept more than one answer, isn't it? All of your answers were valuable anyway. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Just thought I'd add, I have a very old laptop running msdos 6.2 and win 3.1. Works perfectly for many of my needs, and is blindingly fast.

Posted 1 year ago

luinox86

Wow Lighthouse,

Well, I suppose you will never connect to the internet with that, so you shouldn't worry about security that much :)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

luinox86,

SHIFT + Click Toggles Classic Shell to Windows 7 Original Screen View.

Real easy to go back and forth.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

luinox86. I used to go online with it, back in the day. Pre Internet in the UK.

Posted 1 year ago

luinox86

Thanks Lighthouse.

I think based on your opinion and the new issues I have been facing recently, I will give that another think!

Regards.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!