I have been struggling a lot about this. I know the benefits of Windows 7, but I really like Windows XP! The question is that, is it safe to use XP in 2012 (an on-wards!)?
Specs: My laptop is not old, its a Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 1GB ATI graphics and overall (so is my PC, a bit more powerful), it can handle Windows 7 perfect. But the matter is that I can't get along with Windows 7, I don't like its appearance and the performance on my machine, it loses its power over 3-4 months and becomes a slow OS (I know it happens on XP as well, but it lasts longer and trimming it really helps).
Speed: I don't care about 'booting speed' or 'shutting down speed', whats the point? 3 minutes more waiting does not hold me back at all!
Security: I use Bitdefender Internet Security on one machine and Kaspersky Internet Security on the other one, both firewall and virus protections configured based on my 'geek' style knowledge. Is it still unsafe on XP? Also I don't visit risky web pages at all.
1. XP Mode: If I already have XP what's the point?!
2. Backup: Windows backup, I use other software like Acronis True Image even on windows, data backup, I always believe my own manual way more than anything and less confusing!
3. BitLocker: it is a pain to lock a whole drive and enter password every time I wanna access, so even on 7, if there are important data, True Crypt is my first choice.
4. Network sharing, printer sharing and network backup: never used, and if I really need, there are always alternative ways to get what I need to do on XP.
5. Support for hardware: I have all the drivers I need or I can download in a second.
6. New game and software compatibility: This could be considerable, but I really use a limited number of applications relevant to my work and study. Games...? haven't played for years.. but I like to have the opportunity!
Microsoft Support: I use Windows updates and it goes until 2014, more than enough for me! until then I will re-think about changing to 7 or sticking with XP. I like XP for at least the remaining two years.
Current system: Dual boot 7 and XP.
Okay geeks, lets discuss to get this done, with the details above, is it safe to stick with XP in 2012?