The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

learning security

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 1155 times

jack7h3r1pp3r

i need help on setting up a computer on my network with low security so i can learn the ways in and then trace and fix the holes and find new ones and so on but want to start out pretty easy but don't really know where to start and i am willing to do a lot of reading and really learn on the subject. i really want to learn how to keep my system as secure as possible and be able to know when someone gets in or whatever you know.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

if you guys don't want to answer this on the forum then you can email me

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Jack. I would help you but my security knowledge is about 30 years out of date. I would not know where to start now :(

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

You are going to hack your own system to learn the best security huh? Probably the easiest way is to hook up your wireless router and leave it wide open. Then maybe add a password and Broadcast your SSID then disable your SSID ...

Then you can go and add the various levels of protection one at a time and go through each liek WEP, RADIUS, WPA ... etc.

A good tool to find out what ports you have open on your network is NESSUS http://www.nessus.org/nessus/

Make sure and not run it on your network behind your firewall ...

OK ... I am done ranting!

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

well i do not have a wireless router i just have a hub/switch and how would i leave the ports open and i have nmap already for various network scanning things.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Jack,
There are some great threads on this 10 year old site, http://www.dslreports.com/

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok i will check that site later because i have been really busy lately and don't have much time for the forum at the moment

Posted 6 years ago

gaurang

hey jack .. you are on .. ubuntuforums too right ?? better search it ... because , i had seen "many" things there ... for people like u and me ..

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

um.. but do they have stuff on trying to hack you own systems to learn how to keep them more secure? because i looked once and didn't really see any thing everything there is so clustered lol

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.