How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

LCD TV

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by elpaelpa
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1087 times

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

We're considering buying a new tv to replace our old 25" console. Has anyone bought a tv recently with the 60 hz refresh rate and wished they'd opted for the 120 rate? I can see a difference when viewing in a store, but does the subdued lighting of a living room alter that 'fuzzy' effect of moving objects on the 60hz? We've decided on full hd 1080p and screen size 46" or above (prefer 52). I see Sony's units have lower contrast (20000) rates than some others (up to 50000).How important is this? We like the LG models but I've heard that LG washing machines are hard to fix and parts hard to get due to being made in Germany and wondered if their tv's were the same? I'm trying to do my homework before investing 2 grand in something I don't use very often! Tom

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

Could you move this to off topic? Too much TechnoViking messes your mind up! Tom

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

The 120 rate would be my choice. High contrast can be good if you like very sharp pictures. I prefer them a little "mellow" and would choose a lower cantrast. At the end what counts is what you see and like in the store. No way would I sink 2 grand in a TV - all I ever watch is the weather channel. For the rest I go on-line.

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

WHS or anyone-We don't really need a new one at this time.However, my wife will be retiring shortly and we want to replace or acquire what we feel we might need or want when we're both on retirement income.In addition to the actual tv cost, this has been recommended -1. $100 to have tech come in and tell us exactly what tv we should have for the room and where to install it -( refundable if tv bought in their store) 2. $199 for special cables 3. $199 for special television surge protector 4. $249 t0 $749 depending for Professional installation using a comp.to adjust settings. There's more but it escapes me right now.I cannot believe this stuff is all needed or will make a big enough difference in picture quality to warrant it. The special protector-ya, maybe.Your opinion? Also,is Blue Ray worth replacing our dvd player with? Ours is 6 yrs old.TKS. Tom

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

To me this does not sound good. If your TV is only 6 years old, what is wrong with that? My best TV is a Sony from 1978 and my youngest TV is 15 years old. If I were you, I would rethink this whole investment. A middle of the road solution is usually the best because next year anything you buy now will be "old" anyhow. And then I would haul it home and put it up myself - those prices for so called "professional help" - mostly halfwits anyhow - are outrageous. A surge protector is a good idea - but $199 sounds expensive unless it is a central protector (where the power line comes into the house). Here is some reading on it http://www.naturalhandyman.com.....otect.html

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

also right now i don't think that blue ray is to over priced to really get it yet and there really isn't too big a difference i don't think at least not a $300 difference lol

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

WHS/jack-Thanks for your responses. The tv is about 20yrs old-the dvd is 6 yrs old. I thought everything sounded high even though we've been looking thru nationwide chains, mainly.One store claimed that running the old dvd thru a Blue Ray unit would enhance the picture clarity!Yes,$300 was the price of the vcr but at that point I was too far in sticker shock to even look at the Blue Ray concerning picture difference.Do you believe these tv's have been out long enough for the price to drop or is this it? The protector was made by Monster Cable (?) and was suppose to prevent signal lose thru the cable as compared to a department store brand.I'd like to help the economy but not singlehandedly.Plus,I can imagine 10yrs from now wishing I'd have waited to buy the new 3D models (could that possibly happen?).Tom

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Well Tom, I would say, given the price tag, as long as your current equipment works, why change. The prices will definitely come down because pretty soon they will be happy to sell anything. Of course, it all depends how much you watch TV and how badly you want it. I watch about 3 or 4 hours - per year. But the wife watches the soaps. That's why I can live with basic TV. When I need information, I go on the internet.

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

WHS-Of course, you're absolutely correct.I guess it's like everything else-depends on how bad you want it! My tv is limited to about 1hr per day-nothing on worth watching and I'd rather read. My wife has several favorite shows, guess I'll leave this call to her alone!TKS again,Tom.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Tom, someone is trying to take advantage of you and the wife. A lot of these features and extras are marketing hype. If you have a 25" screen now, a 42" will look huge, especially if the viewing distance does not change. You don't *need* 120 Hz, you don't *need* 1080p, and you don't *need* a 46-52" set. Monster Cables are way, way overpriced. Professional calibration (adjusting the settings by computer) is only something that high-end videophiles and movie studios need. Certainly you don't need to pay 200 bucks to have someone come and look at your living room! Outrageous! It's especially despicable if the people trying to oversell you and the wife on all this are aware that she is retiring.

LCD TV is not the only kind, just the most popular. CRT sets, in both rear and front projection, still provide an excellent picture. However, CRTs seemed to have vanished from store shelves in the US. Probably so they can upsell the whole country with flat panels. Good for you doing more research. Cnet's HDTV World is a great website with tons of info. Also, when they try to upsell you on Monster Cable, take a look at the price of cables at MonoPrice where they make good cables inexpensively. You can hook up your own TV and rent a calibration disc to make adjustments yourself. Good luck!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Tom, I can only second what ScottW says - except for the 120Hz. My TV's in Europe are 50Hz. And one of my neighbors has a 100Hz where I found the picture to be much better. I have also compared in the stores (when I was just tire kicking) and thought that the double frequency TV's showed a better picture. But as I said: Best is to compare in the store yourself. And don't let these people rob you.

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

Thanks for all the info guys!It's amazing the difference in prices on the tv's and extras from store to store! The cables in one store (department store)were $70 cheaper than at the (national chain) appliance store for example!Yes,they were on sale.But $70? They were the exact same cables.I can't remember the Latin saying but "buyer beware" says it all!Will definately check out'HDTV World' and 'MonoPrice'.I think you guys saved me a ton of money!Thankyou!Tom

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Caveat emptor!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!