How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

LCD Monitors (Clarity, Brightness, etc)

(18 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1347 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

I have a 22in Westinghouse LCD monitor. It is a very nice monitor and has a very clear picture.

My roommate has a 20in HP monitor. It, unlike my monitor has a very "bright" look to it, and almost a "crystal-clear" look.

I am thinking of buying another monitor sometime, and was wondering what to look for to get a monitor like my roommates.

Information would be helpful, or posting links to monitors would be helpful as well.

I would like the monitor to have VGA, DVI, Composite, Component, and S-Video (S-Video less important. Built in speakers are nice, however not a necessity.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

What is your price range. also what size monitor are you looking for?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Take a look at the actual screen type, glossy or matte. I don't know if that's what you were talking about, but I have a glossy screen that looks great. It really improves the contrast of the colors and especially the blacks. However, the glare is bad sometimes and it picks up fingerprints like a freaking crime scene. =P

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Tabay, you are probably confusing it with a touchscreen. I have an HP w2207. Quite nice. Look for sales.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

WHS, They do have two diferant finishes for screens. a matte and a glossy. I perfer the glossy if I am indoors but for a Laptop i would have to get a matte ....

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

All mine are glossy, also the laptops.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

don't you get a lot of glare outside?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

what outside? We don't take them to the beach. They are all tethered, even the laptops.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

So I assume glossy is the feature I am looking for? I will try to post the model numbers of both screens sometime soon.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

WHS, You never use your laptops outside? That's what I liked best about having a laptop. The fact that I could use it anywhere. even in the car or on a plane where there is a lot of sunlight.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Smash, I guess you follow the common pattern. But I have a different attitude. When I leave the house, I don't want to be bothered. I have no cell phone or telephone answering machine either. Reason we have laptops at all is because we haul them between different homes.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

WHS, while I started in computers in the DOS days .... I guess I am still young. I always have my blackberry so I have Internet and email. And the funny thing is I was just looking on the web at the windows home server by HP(http://www.shopping.hp.com/sto.....e2/PDP_PDP) Which will allow you to steam and backup all your data from anywhere with an Internet connection. plus its a terabyte of storage as well. Also you can stream all you content to an Xbox360. Check out the demo its cool.but my real point is I use technology on the go way to much now a days and i envy you for having no cell phone or laptop on the go.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Smash, Blackberry is another one of those buggers that bothers you wherever you stand, walk or sit. But I guess they can be handy if you still enjoy the professional life. At my age, I can do without. The wife already had to twist my arm to get a PC. When Vista came out, she succeeded. She wanted to go on Ebay. When I was still working, I was lucky to have enough secretaries and staffers that shielded me from those toys. And thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

IRT Jmcguire, yes I think you're looking for a glossy screen.

IRT Smash, yes the glossy screen pretty much prevents you from going outside on sunny days. Sorry =P It's not a big problem for me because it's always cloudy here.. and I don't really go out much. Hah.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

hey taybay, ya gotta go out much. Ya gotta get them credentials.
hey whs, my laptop never leaves the house & my mobile neither (but it is handy when the phone lines go down, along with the 'lectric cables

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Lighthouse, you live in the wrong part of the world. I have never seen a telephone line go down - unfortunately. Life would be a lot quieter. I think telephones were invented for women. They can babble for hours with zero content.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

whs...you've never lived. Waves 300ft high. Winds 120mph (an out there workin in it) climbin up 300 ft masts with a couple of spanners an a scredriver to get everything together....It's great

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

sounds like a job for a seagull

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.