SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

LAST DAY to download Windows 7 RC from MS!

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from ColinAirlie
  • Topic Viewed 1206 times

ScottW
ScottW

It is August 20th here in the US Central Time zone, the last day that you will be able to download the Windows 7 Release Candidate directly from Microsoft. License keys will still be available after today if you have the disc image to install with.

In my previous heads-up on this, I made a mistake in the time table. March is the cutoff date for RC license keys. Here is the updated table:

8/20/09 - Last day that Windows 7 RC will be available for download
10/22/09 - Windows 7 ships (General Availability or "GA")
3/01/10 - Windows 7 RC will begin shutting down every 2 hours; RC license keys no longer available
6/01/10 - Windows 7 RC expires

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I just found out from Cnet News that the download will stop being available at 8 am US Pacific Time, which is about an hour from now.

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

HeeHee, mines just finished!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Col, you just made it under the wire! The page is now showing only that you can get a license key and no longer has the download option.

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Yip, just made it, a bit like Chuck Norris. It downloaded in about an hour and a half.

I backed up my files last night, and installed it this morning before work. It only took about 40 mins for some reason. I haven't had a chance to have a gander round it yet, but I'm restoring all the files I had, so won't see till lunchtime anyway.

I did notice a fish, but that's all the time I had.

Col :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.