The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Laptop with Vista loads then freezes to a black screen

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by MemoG
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 822 times

MemoG

Hello Everyone I have a Laptop with windows vista that loads the system and after 5-10 min screen goes black and computer freezes. I dont think it cant be a software issue since I already reformatted and installed from scratch and it has nothing on it but Windows Vista. Avast antivirus and whatever updates the computer installed.
Thanks in advance.

HP Pavillio dv5 -1004nr
Vista home premium 32
ADM Turion 212ghz
4GB ram

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Is it getting hot at all, particularly around the vents?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

As Xhi suggested, this is looking like an airflow problem.
Now I do use a vac for this, underneath and side exit. You will be surprised at the build up of dust over time

Posted 1 year ago

MemoG

I checked the vents and cleansed the little amount of dust I found but still the same problem.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

There may be a lot more dirt. Get a can of compressed air from Home Depot and blow it out.

Since it is a Vista system, it is probably a few years old and dust has probably gathered inside.

Posted 1 year ago

MemoG

That's the way I cleaned it. I even removed the Whole bottom part of the case and the keyboard.
if there was an overheating problem would it had happen while I was installing windows again and stop me from completing the installation?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Hmm, so all the dirt should be gone. Does the laptop feel hot ?? Those AMD processors can dissipate quite a lot of heat.

Since you say that it stops after 5-10 minutes, I would not risk another installation - which takes longer. We first have to isolate the problem.

I suggest you run for a while in safe mode with internet to see whether it will stay up. If it does, it could be a software problem after all.

Posted 1 year ago

marks100
marks100

it could be the thermal compound under the processor gone hard ?

mark.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Try booting up with a Linux live CD, and running off that for a while.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Good suggestion LH. That would show whether it is a S/W or H/W problem.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.