How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Laptop with two DVI ports?

(12 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 5038 times

thegeek
The Geek

I'm curious if there are any laptops out there with more than one DVI connector... it drives me crazy that I can only plug a single external monitor into mine.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

The most I have seen is one DVI and one VGA....

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I just found something really interesting... anybody ever used this Matrox DualHead2Go ? Looks like they have a DVI version now, takes one VGA and converts it into 2 DVI...

http://www.matrox.com/graphics.....l/home.php

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Actually looks like it can't do double the native resolution for my machine... can only do 2x 1280x1024, but I've got 1680x1050 as the native resolution. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Why would you want dual monitors on a laptop?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

It's obvious jd, so he can keep the Forums up full time on one and have his day job stuff up on the other!

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I've got three monitors, but I'd like to have two monitors hooked to my laptop and 1 hooked to my linux box... right now I've got 1 hooked to each linux box and 1 hooked to the vista laptop... I find myself using the vista laptop constantly as well as one of the linux boxes, but I don't really need a screen on the third box.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Found something interesting... it's a PCMCIA video card:

http://www.villagetronic.com/vtbook/index.html

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Isn't it unlikely to find 2 DVI's on a laptop. That would require 2 Graphic cards with all the space and heat problems on a laptop. Most have "onboard" anyhow without DVI although the other day I saw a NVIDEA 6150 on-board with DVI in the specs of one laptop.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@whs: you are absolutely correct.

I figured out that I can plug both the VGA and DVI on my docking station at the same time. Only problem is that the quality on the VGA is kinda painful to look at.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Geek, learn to enjoy the pain, it builds character....or something....

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Here again - VGA picture quality is mainly a function of the monitor. A good monitor will give you a painless picture. I love my HP w2207 VGA - absolutely perfect picture.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!