SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Laptop with battery inserted while plugging.

(16 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tech27
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 536 times

tech27

Hello guys. I have this question when I've been hearing for too long and I don't know if you had release some article regarding this question. So here's my question.

Is it bad or does it causes the battery to lessen its life when using a laptop with battery inserted while plugging the adapter/charger onto the socket?
I mean like, example, I'm using my Laptop with battery inserted or attached and currently using the adapter and charging the laptop while using it. So does it damage the battery or prolong its life? I hope you know what I mean or what I supposed to mean, because I'm really bothered about this thing.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Well, there are two schools of thought in my book.
Each manufacturer will have different ways of monitoring battery level.
In the olden days, the machine might take 10 mins pumping an unnecessary charge before it calculated a 'full' reading. This took a strain on the cells and reduced the life of the battery.
I used to take battery out when using long periods on mains.

Modern battery (li-Ion) and charging methods (superior sensing) have changed and I now just leave the battery in when on mains.

It shows as complete charge and relies on mains only. This protects the battery from little trickle charges.
I still often run the battery down completely before a full charge only situation. On the last 3 laptops I have had over the last 2 years this seemed to work well and the batteries were 'fresh'.

Mike

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Don't be bothered. Depends on the quality of the battery. How old is it ?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Never had a problem with any of my laptops leaving the battery in and I use them almost exclusively on wall power.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Given the portable nature of a laptop...if you run it without the battery in on mains and you accidentally pull the mains connector out, the sudden power outage could corrupt your operating system if it happens too many times which is quite possible. The battery acts as a safety net.

Posted 2 years ago

tech27

Ok. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about this and I really appreciate it. So as far as what I understand based on Mike said. Only those old laptop batteries were the only ones affected by those damages by placing the battery while plugging the charger into the wall socket. So newer laptop batteries aren't anymore affected with these problems.. But I want to ask Mike on what you stated. "I still often run the battery down completely before a full charge only situation" you mean, you will fully drain the battery before charging it?

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Some li-Ion batteries have a memory sort of and it is recommended to occasionally run them down.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Yes, I do every now and then perhaps once a month. Just a routine I got used to. I move around a lot but if I were sitting at home over a long period, battery comes out, but remember, in that mode of use if a power down happens then data lost.

When you see the cost of buying a new battery, your eyes can water for sure, copy batteries although 'cheaper' are either poor or completely useless after a couple of months if not weeks

Posted 2 years ago

feinui

I bought a laptop four years ago and took out the battery as I used mostly power from the wall socket. I would take it out every other month to use and discharge it. It died on my after 13 months - just one month after the guarantee expired. I have since bought a laptop and I just leave in the battery. It's been about 20 months now and everything seems fine. I think it is just luck of the draw with elecgtronics

Posted 2 years ago

tech27

Yeah I agree with you sometimes we ought to have that luck upon acquiring those electronics stuffs.. Overall thank you very much for your comments because I'm planning to buy a new laptop this month I hope so. I'm planning for DELL laptop which will cost for about $700+. Can you guys recommend a good one?

Posted 2 years ago

tech27

Does this laptop: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/.....ifications battery is a li-ion battery?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Yes.

Posted 1 year ago

tech27

@feinui

thanks for sharing your thoughts... so okay I just bought a laptop which I posted the link above and using it with battery in while using the main power from the socket. Do I really need to fully discharge the battery like at least once a month? Is it really necessary to discharge a battery, because I rarely used the laptop without plugging it into the wall socket. So my battery is always 100% charge.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

If a battery is new, then you should do at least 3 full charge and discharge cycles. After that, just use the computer as you normally would.

Posted 1 year ago

tech27

Sorry sir, but I don't get it. What do you mean by "you should do at least 3 full charge and discharge cycles" how often should I fully discharge my batt? once a month or what? and I wonder why is it good to fully discharge a li-ion batt? because my friend told me that its not okay to fully drained my laptop batt. Could it correct or not?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

http://www.newark.com/pdfs/tec...../LIBMG.pdf Have a read through this. It may help you. There are many thoughts on battery maintenance the best I think is to follow the devices recommendations.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.