The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Laptop upgrades.

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shackleford96
  • Latest reply from Hermitt
  • Topic Viewed 544 times

shackleford96

Disclaimer: I'm not an extremely technical person, so go easy on me ;)

Okay, I'm going to list my laptop's specs first:

Toshiba Satellite L305
genuine intel cpu 585 @ 2.16 GHz
2GB ram
Windows Vista
32 bit op-system

So, my laptop is getting kind of dated and hardly manages to multitask without maxing out the cpu and I was thinking about upgrading some of the internals. I don't really have a whole lot of money right now, or I would upgrade to a desktop (I have been wanting to build my own computer for quite some time now!) I have viewed the processes that are running at any given time, and it seems like most of them are ones that are necessary.

What I would like to do is get more ram, possibly upgrade the processor, and also maybe get a 64 bit Windows 7 too. It doesn't have to be extremely fast, but I would at least like it to run programs and multitask decently without maxing out the cpu. Lol. I could really use some direction though, and I also would like to know how YOU would go about upgrading my laptop if it was yours. Any insights and considerations you could give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much, and I look forward to your replies!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Upgrading a laptop with anything except memory is usually a losing process. The motherboard will govern what processors may be installed on it and you probably have the fastest one that the motherboard is capable of or and upgrade will make very little difference.

Your CPU is 64-bit capable so you could install a 64-bit OS without changing the CPU.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

You'll notice a difference with 64bit W7, even with 32bit W7 I think moving from Vista. Multitasking is memory-intensive so bumping that up another two gig should make a significant difference on its own as the processor won't rely on file-swapping so much if you routinely have several things running simultaneously. I would do the latter first but doing both those things together should give you a quite noticeable boost. If you notice prolonged pauses between doing one action and another that's your memory maxing out and cpu using virtual memory (writing to the HD to store memory items) which is MUCH slower.

Posted 1 year ago

sandeep1991

Well,in laptops the main memory,hard drive are the two things are the worth upgrading...you can upgrade RAM use this Crucial scanner and it will tell you the specs. that suits your machine...here you go Crucial scanner and then you can upgrade the operating system to 64-bit version (mostly need high ram) good luck take care :)

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

whs

You can get a really significant performance push by exchanging the HDD with a SSD. A 250GB model would be sufficient. This one or a Samsung 830 are good examples: http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820148530

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Is your Vista the SP1 upgrade? If not then suggest you go to MS site and download SP1 & install.
If you choose to upgrade your Ram you probably will need to purchase either 1 2gb stick since your running 32bit or if you upgrade to the 64bit version then you can purchase 2ea. 2gb sticks for 4gb total. Depending on how much money you have you spend will depend which way you want to increase performance. Since Vista is a memory hog you might want to get more Ram as a starter. The 2gb you have is bare minimum for most O/S.

Posted 1 year ago

shackleford96

@ germ-x
No, it's the service pack 2

I have decided to just start with the memory upgrade first.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Take it to 3GB. Works well.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

You should check on the Toshiba website for your owner manual to make sure your hardware can take more than 2GB : http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi.....%20Support

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Very good point GS :)

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

The L035 motherboard will accept 2 x 2gb stick of memory but 32bit OS will only address between 3 and 3.5gb max.
It will run 64bit OS but will see and address the full 4gb ram, either Vista or 7. The MB will not accept anything higher.

Windows 7 will run much faster but there may be minor driver problems.

I would certainly go for 3gb with what you have and seriously look at your installed programs and especially the startups to reduce the CPU usage.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt

Shackleford96, To see if your PC is ready for Windows 7, download the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.