The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

laptop sleeps at 8%

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by panic
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 337 times

panic

i have an hp pavillion g6, and although i have changed all the battery and screen settings so that the laptop does not sleep until 1% battery, when the battery level reaches 8-9% the computer sleeps on its own without any action from me. its really annoying while doing something. i think originally the critical battery level was set to 9%. I changed the setting as shown here http://www.howtogeek.com/58109.....windows-7/ since it would not allow me to do so otherwise. I chose the way with the battery. Any ideas are welcome.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi panic ,

Welcome to HTG ,

I think you need to re-read the first part of that link.

Posted 1 year ago

panic

Hi GuiltySpark,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what you mean by first part of the link. I have followed the method by pulling the battery and changing the advanced power settings but when the battery level falls to 8-9% it will sleep.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi panic ,

From the link "With specific hardware configurations, Windows refuses to let you change the Critical Battery Level below a specific point. If you’ve got a big battery, this prevents you from using every last bit of juice. Thankfully, there are two easy workarounds.

We’ve already shown you How To Tweak the Low Battery Action on Your Windows 7 Laptop, but Windows can be stubborn. On my particular laptop, it won’t let me set the critical battery level to anything below 5%; it changes back to 5% as soon as I click something else. On my netbook, that’s close to 20 minutes I’m missing out on, and it takes less than 30 seconds to hibernate so I know I would be fine with 1%. Depending on your specific hardware this number may be different, or you may be lucky and not have this problem at all; it appears that many Macbooks running Windows 7 don’t have this issue. If you’re like me, however, there are two solutions you can choose from: one that’s easy and another that’s slightly more involved."

It might be the case that your hardware doesn't allow it, or it could be something in either Control Panel --- Power Options --- Change when the computer sleeps/hibernates.

Or it may be a function elsewhere within the Advanced Power Options menu tree that is 'resisting'.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!