How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

laptop screen broken, software issue

(14 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by needshelp
  • Latest reply from needshelp
  • Topic Viewed 911 times

needshelp
needshelp

Alright guys heres a tough one. My sister broke her laptop's moniter and asked me to fix it. So i turn it on and the moniter shows random lines and once flickered the startup screen. Iconnect it to a moniter via vga cable. So it says "need to check disk for consistency. Press any keyto skip" etc etc. I let it do iit but it never finished. So i restart and skip that.
The computer is bogged down with crapware. I defragement and everything. I run "fsutil dirty query c:" and yes its dirty. I try running "chkdsk /f /r C:" it says "cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run cause its in use by nother process....run on next startup?" Y/n. So i do that. But to no avail.
So i figures the physical moniter still works, it just cant understand the computer. So i try factory resetting the whole thing. Only problem is, is that f11 isint working on startup... niether is esc, f2,f10, or f12.

Too long didnt read:
Monitor is "broken" how to clean dirty drive(read: alternatives to normal response.)

Any help would be apprecieted but id do just fine telling her shes screwed.

Btw
Windows xp
Hp pavilion laptop.

Posted 2 years ago

Marksheet
Marksheet

Needshelp,

You need to do it REAL fast...

Press FN+F1 key as soon as you boot, it will switch to the external monitor immediately. You can also try the other function keys... Once the monitor is up and running, you can press the F11 key to perform a "hard reset". If that doesn't work... Boot up the laptop, press Fn+F1 and then Fn+F11. See if it works.

WARNING : Performing a "Hard Reset" will wipe all the data. Use at your Own risk...
I recommend you follow these steps :

1. Boot your laptop and press Fn+F1 immediately.
2. Boot into Safe Mode
3. Run CCleaner, Chkdsk and Defragment.
4. If that solves the problem well and good, otherwise...
5. Repeat step 1 and keep tapping F12 key, it will bring up a boot menu.
6. Insert your Windows XP CD and boot from the CD.
7. Follow this article and your laptop will be reincarnated with all the files intact.

NOTE : If you don't have Windows XP CD, get it from someone. BUT, before performing the Non-destructive re-install. You MUST read this article about how to obtain your license key from windows. Note it down somewhere, as you'll need it during the re-install. DON'T EVEN THINK OF RE-DISTRIBUTING IT !! IT'S ONLY FOR YOUR OWN REPAIR PURPOSE...

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp
needshelp

Nope, did not work. It shows up on the other monitor anyways so why do ihave to do fn+f1 to make it dothat? Anyways i tried it and it didnt work. Italked to a guy and im gonna try formating it with dos.

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp
needshelp

Well i formatted another computer i was working on by "format c:" now it says "bootmgr not found." Ah well thats a different issue. Still would like assistance with the aformentioned laptop.

Posted 2 years ago

Marksheet
Marksheet

Needshelp,

Can you please elaborate the "did not work" statement ?? What did not work ?

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp
needshelp

Sorry, Pressing fn+f1 didn't do anything that I could see. Pressing Fn+F11 did not bring up any menus; the computer continued booting like normal. I already did chkdsk and defragmented so I guess we could say those worked but didn't accomplish my goal. Steps 5 through 7 are not available to me because I dont have the windows xp cd, If i did I would have done that first.

Posted 2 years ago

Marksheet
Marksheet

Take it to the store... They'll fix it..

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

needshelp ,

You said, "I try running "chkdsk /f /r C:" it says "cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run cause its in use by nother process....run on next startup?" Y/n. So i do that. But to no avail."

Did you restart the machine to let it run a check ?

And which problem is requiring priority ? The Screen ?

OR

The HDD ?

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp
needshelp

Yes I restarted it to let it check but it continued with the windows splash screen anyways.
I don't think its a priority problem. There's only one user and that user is administrator.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Ok, so how did he break the monitor ?

Did he hit it or was it dropped ? Did he try to rip it in half like a phone book ? LOL

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp
needshelp

I have noidea how my sister broke it. Im thinking virus messed with the files? I figure a good ol' factory restore will fix it.

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

Just to clarify. Are you able to see the initial BIOS checks on the laptop screen? Can you get into the BIOS (check the priority is set to CD boot first as you'll need that at some point). If you're not getting anything intelligible on the screen at first boot then it is definitely a hardware problem.

If you do get something legible on the screen then a factory restore should cure the problem, and if it was badly infected, is probably the quickest & easiest way. On HP laptops, it should be the F10 key that gets you to the recovery partition, but you do have to hit it at just the right moment during boot so may take a couple of attempts.

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp
needshelp

I once saw the windows startup splash screen flicker for a second, maybe less than a second. But yes I can see everything about a second after I press the power button. But i see things on the external monitor (of course)

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp
needshelp

I pressed f10 and that got me into some internal settings but nothing that said recovery. said the stuff like "set user passwords" and "set master password" and date/time and disk information. Also had a thing to run disk integrity check(short check and long check) so I ran the long one.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.