How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Laptop overheats for no reason

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by NSDCars5
  • Latest reply from NSDCars5
  • Topic Viewed 856 times

NSDCars5
NSDCars5

Hey there. I've got this Acer Aspire V3-551G (yeah, it does seem to have many problems) which has run into (another) problem. I re-installed Windows (for maintenance purposes) and the laptop started overheating for no apparent reason (2 tabs open in IE8). I had installed only WiFi drivers yet. Normally I wouldn't be bothered, but it shuts down if it overheats too much. Specs (if needed):

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (almost fully updated, shut down before I could download them fully)
AMD Fusion A8-4500M @ 1.9Ghz
ATi Radeon 7670M+7640G (Dual Graphics)
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
AMD A70M chipset

I tried ALT+F10 to restore it to factory settings, but the new MBR doesn't work well with it.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

You mentioned it has many other problems. Overheating can be the result of a hardware problem like your fans. Is the machine still under warranty?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Nothing happens for no reason. How old is it ?

Posted 1 year ago

NSDCars5
NSDCars5

Bought in October 2012, and the machine is well outside warranty (removed the warranty seal to upgrade the RAM [facepalm]). Never mind though, problem fixed. Turns out that without a proper driver, the dedicated GPU was under full load all the time, causing it to overheat. Thanks for the help though!

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!