The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

LAptop overheating

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by DeadFool
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 480 times

DeadFool

I'm a noob. Witch is shown with me buying an pavilion dv7 that overheats.
It has an i7 processor and a geforce gt 650m 2gb.
When I run Farcry 3 the i7 gets really hot, sometimes over 90C.
I'm using Speedfan to determine the temperatures.
Could someone tell me if I can change any settings so the game doesnt stress my i7 so much?
Soyy if this is a dumb question.
Any advice about solving the heat problem is welcome.

Posted 1 year ago

ja5087
ja5087

Get a laptop cooling pad. These help a lot with heat issues on a laptop.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Not on all laptops. On some they can increase the heat. So best to borrow one first, and test the temps.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

While I have no experience with high intensity games, I have found that simply placing four bottle caps under the laptop when on the table aids in the cooling process.

Posted 1 year ago

stinger608
stinger608

Most of the production type laptops have some very "sub-par" Thermal paste. One of the things most people have found is to pull the bottom panel off the laptop and remove the heat sink. Clean the surface real well with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and replace with good quality thermal paste.

some very good quality pastes include Arctic Cooling MX-4, Arctic Silver 5, or IC Diamond 24 just to name a very few. This will usually drop your load temps close to 10C!

Also as mentioned; if you can just borrow a laptop cooler and test it, it may or may not help some. None the less, replacing the thermal paste will usually help a ton.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

stinger608

I agree, I''m inclined to think there's a problem somewhere in the cooling coupling chain as you mention or airflow obstruction.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The i7s produce a lot of heat. This combined with the GPU makes for a nice furnace. And don't forget the HDD which produces more heat.

There is probably little you can do about the heat. Hopefully your laptop vents to the sides. Else the bootlecap trick that Xhi suggested may give some relief.

I have stopped using coolpads. They do very little. In one laptop that ran hot I have replaced the HDD with a SSD. That resolved the problem.

Make sure your vents are always clean and that they are not cluttered. That's about all you can do. Replacing the thermal paste on a laptop requires some skill, but may help.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/.....688,00.asp Top gaming laptops are expensive. Try the above suggestions may help some but, you will probably have to live with the heat.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!