The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Laptop overheating

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bassdude66
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 395 times

bassdude66

Hi folks! I'm fighting an issue with an HP/Compaq 6820s that I own. A while back it started to have power issues. It seemed like the power supply was the issue, so I got a genuine HP replacement power supply. Well before long that supply conked out. The replacement supply was different from the original supply in that it was a two-part affair, with what I can only describe as an adapter on the end which fit into the power plug in the laptop. So I decided to order a replacement power supply online. I've gone through 2 of those. Basically what happens right now is the power supply has to be plugged in at just the right angle for it to actually power the PC. It does seem like the connector in the laptop itself is kinda loose, but it's hard to tell because it's tucked into the machine where it's hard to see. And when it is plugged in and getting power, the power supply itself gets very hot, so much so that I can only touch it for a quick second.

Here's my question. Does it seem like this issue is the power connector itself? I'm contemplating taking the laptop itself apart in an effort to fix the connector, but I'm not sure how big a job that is or if it's worth it. If I can do it and that's the problem I'm thinking it's a great, inexpensive fix. But I'd like to get all of your opinions before I go that route. Any recommendations? Is the power supply heating up like that a typical symptom of a loose power connector? Please advise. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.c.....014623.pdf Here is a link to the manual if you didn't have it. The connector could be your problem. Are your fans running?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Getting hold of a new power socket maybe a minor problem. And then it would have to be soldered in. You up to that?

Posted 1 year ago

bassdude66

Fans are running a lot, pretty much all the time. We've basically already replaced the laptop, assuming we couldn't get it working, but I'd like to make the old college try at it. Why do you think a new socket would be a problem?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What country do you live in ? Sometimes the things you need are hard to find.
And sounds like the laptop needs a good clean out anyway. Have a big can of compressed air at the ready.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.