SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

LAPTOP ONLY WORKS IN SAFE MODE?? HELP ME!

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by sxy0re0
  • Latest reply from daviditot
  • Topic Viewed 11640 times

sxy0re0
sxy0re0

Thanx in ALL HELP GUYS! ok,.. i have been having problems with my laptop for over 2 months now,..and it seems to be getting worse by the week! I have a HP Pavillion dv6000nr series Notebook PC, thats only a year old. I use "Webroot" Antivirus with Antispyware for protection (and use it regularly to sweep my laptop for potential threats ect..), I am running Windows Vista Home Premium... I always had my "HP HEALTH AND SECURITY ADVISOR" to launch on startup,..so that i could insure my laptop's health was always up to date. Whenever windows alerted and or suggested ANY recent updates, I made sure to do so! Approx. 2-3 months ago i installed a
"Recomended Windows Update" as I usually do and continued on after intallation,...then shut down my laptop.... The next time I started up,it was very very slow and my health advisor alerted me about a virus i had called A "Winsock.EXE" virus?? so i googled the virus and researched some info on the virus and came across i belive it was this site? anyways I found some instructions on eliminating the virus which consisted of me going to my command prompt and changeing the last couple of letters on one of my drivers or files or something? ( i honestlly cannot remeber where i WENT or what it said to change it to,..but i followed the instructions,..and IT WORKED! THE VIRUS WAS GONE AFTER THAT!

But shortly after that i started getting other problems! after about a week or so when I started my computer, it loaded my desktops, start menu & taskbar as usual,..but then EVERYTHING DISAPPEARED AFTER ABOUT 15-20 SECONDS!!! i mean everything! ..my desktop shortcut icons, start menu, taskbar EVERYTHING! so i restarted laptop again, thinking maybe just a glitch or sumthing? NOPE!!..IT CONTINUED TO DO THE SAME THING!...so finally i learned that by pressing cntl/alt/delete it would take me to the option area (restart,ease of access,shutdown,..task manager ect.)...and from there learned how to open any program,by opening the "Taskbar". So I worked from my task manager like that for over a month!! very frustrating!!
Also please note that every time i start up my computer it would first take me to what looks like the "command-promt" screen which is all black with bigger white "text",..which says that "IT IS STRONGLY RECCOMENDED THAT I CHECK MY (something like,..i cant remember exactly)...check "NTDFS DISK FILES" & "UNLESS I CANCEL THE DISK CHECK, IT WILL CONTINUE ON TO CHECK FOR ERRORS... there is a little second timer counting down from 37 seconds. first time i saw this page Of course I allowed it to check my disk files as it streongly recomended i do! There is a total of 3 steps to complete while checking my disk files and would make it thru to the second step at 48% into it,..and then STOP! literally just freeze! I figured it was a lot to check so i would continue to let it check, and it WOULD NEVER GET ANYFURTHER THAN HALF WAY THRU THE SECOND STEP AT 48%!! one day i literally left it "checking files" ALL DAY LONG, & STILL NEVER GOT ANY FURTHER!..so i evntually started canceling the "Disk Check" on start up and would continue on to my task manager. Then just like 5 days ago while im online, it just all of a sudden FROZE! I had to unplug then plug back in my power cord my just to be able to restart it (no other oiption worked). when i retarted my computer iT went to that black screen w/white text again, only this time it saiis "windows was not shut down properlly, any unsaved progrmas may not be able to be recovered,..bla bla bla, we recomended turning on "SAFE MODE" to possibly recover bla bla... It list a few options i can choose.. "SAFE MODE","SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT", "SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING", AND "START WINDOWS NORMALLY". i selected to "START WINDOWS NORMALLY" as i have done many times before when this screen popped up. But instead of it starting normally,..it just goes to a PLAIN BLACK SCREEN WITH NOTHING ON IT, & NEVER STARTS UP WINDOWS?! So i try again and again, and everytime,..same result,.so i then tried from my other optionS in safe mode, and it will start up windows but with "limited ACSESS & drivers" i finally figured out that "SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING" will allow me to connect to the internet and use windows in a "LIMITED STATE"...problem is that while im trying to fix or find whats wrong and where, by it being in "SAFE MODE" I cant troubleshoot or RUN ANYTHING AS SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR!! so I cant go in and change anything if i wanted to, but yet cannot run windows normally,..so that i can make appropriate changes!!

I would try to recover with "SYSTEM RESTORE" BUT, nobody every told me about that & how it works or that I should every now and then create a restore point for these type of situations! So i unfortunatley had to find out the hard way, after the fact! I totally feel like an idiot & am embaressed 2 say, that i HAVE NEVER CREATED A SYTEM RESTORE POINT,..TO BE ABLE TO RESTORE BACK TO :( CAN ANYONE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME???

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold
Spacegold

Welcome to Vista. You have done pretty well so far struggling through one of several possible non-geek's user nightmares. For your information, Vista automatically creates restore points, but it also drops off earlier ones when its allocated memory gets full. You may or may not have one to a point earlier than the beginning of your troubles. I would try restoring from the earliest one you have. If that does not get it, a Windows reinstall is probably in order. Backup whatever data and program files you can first.

One of the forum geeks will probably see your post and chime in if he knows of any easier way. I'm just a regular user like you, who has wrestled with Vista for over a year. Thanks to this site and google I finally have it running fairly smoothly and sort of like it, but it is still more complex than I like.

Posted 5 years ago

TheEmperorofChaos

BootSafe

You might want to try using BootSafe. Link is posted above. ^

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I'm not sure BootSafe is supported in Vista.

Posted 5 years ago

sxy0re0
sxy0re0

is there any version of "BootSafe" available out there for Vista?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

The BootSafe website is apparently not safe to use. My guardians blocked it immediately.

Posted 5 years ago

eljombet
eljombet

Are you still having the same issue Sxy0re0? Well if you are still having the same issue. You might to try getting it hard wired like any desktop users. To get internet connection and let me know if you have done it. System restore that you are going to make does not need to create a restore point. You can choose the other option. Well actually there are only 2 options there if there is a already restore point done before that issue happened.

Like I said choose the second option to select a restore point and not create. Then click on Next and then a calendar shows up. Then choose a BOLD date to restore. Please make sure you select a date before that issue happened.

If all fails try to reboot again and select last known good configuration.

If that fails again. You have 2 options. If the Laptop is still on warranty you might to call your OEM or the brand of that computer.

Or call the Vista general assist. 1-800-936-5700 The department is open Monday to Friday 6am - 9pm PST, and 6am-3pm PST on Saturday and Sunday.

Sincerely,
Bernard Cabado

Posted 5 years ago

daviditot

men what can i say orther than a bigg sorry ,that vista 4 u ,the only way i know of resolvomg such a problem is use a vista dvd to repair ur windows,or load a clean installation o f the OS vista and use ur product key sticked to ur system.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!