How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Laptop Not Turning On

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by StringJunky
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 456 times

StringJunky
StringJunky

I've been given a laptop to look at (Toshiba Equium A100 - 147 with XP and 7 or 8 years old). When I press the power button with it plugged in only the battery led at the front lights up blinking. The Power button should light up blue but doesn't light at all. Apart from the blinking LED it's lifeless. Any ideas?

I reinstalled the OS last week and it was fine at that point.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

bobro
bobro

sounds dead dead, as a simple and quick thing, take the battery out, keep plugged in and try switching on...

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Dead that way too.

Posted 1 year ago

bobro
bobro

is the power adapter got a light that is lighting up?

have you tried wiggling the wire and the connect at the point where it meets the power pack and the laptop?

myabe really really jabbing and jiggling the button...

(i know it all sounds juvanile fixes but its the most simple things first before, take apart and re solder a power connect etc)

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Most probably the mobo is dead. But check the power switch or if there's a flat cable from the switch to the board, check them also for continuity. Sometimes they do break and lose contact (you have to open the laptop). Likewise try to power the laptop barebone - no peripherals like ram, hdd, dvd drive, wifi adapter, lcd, webcam, etc and see if it powers up. Sometimes failed components (shorted) will not allow the laptop to power on.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Thanks Guys. I've given the computer back as is...it's clearly a hardware problem. The owner is going to give it to someone who does hardware problems.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!