The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Laptop no longer recognizes available wireless connections

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by btibbs70
  • Latest reply from silhouttejames
  • Topic Viewed 527 times

btibbs70

Dell Inspiron 1555 doesn't recognize our router or any of the other 8 connections in our neighborhood, but other computer in the house does.
Yes, the F2 button to select a wireless connection is on :-)
Will not recognize a direct connect using the ethernet cable (still "no connections available")
ipconfig gave me this:
LAN adapter Local Area connection: media disconnected
Ethernet adapter Local Area connection: media disconneted
Tunne 1 adapter Local Area connection *13: media disconnected
Tunne 1 adapter isatap. {lots of numbers and letters}: media disconnected
Tunne 1 adapter isatap. {different numbers and letters}: media disconnected
Device Manager gave me this:
Network adapters
Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet <General> This device is working propertly (ha!) <Advanced> Network Address (radio button) Not Present
Intel (R) WiFi Loink 5100 AGN <General> This device is working properly (ha! again) <Advanced> Each property has a value
How do I get this machine to once again realize that there is a router in the house?!?

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

btibbs70, Hi. I am actually working on a laptop with almost the exact same problem; it indicates the WiFi icon on the lower right but when you click on I click on it I get something like " connections available..".

This is a DELL as well, Vostro model.

Will try some stuff out and will post back to let you know the results.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Had this problem on a HP laptop. Turned out that the WiFi hardware in the laptop was broken. I fixed the problem with a $20 WiFi dongle. Best is to take a dongle from the same manufacturer as your router - Netgear in my case.

They have these cute little mini dongles now. They hardly stick out from the USB port.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

This seemed to solve the problem:

start-->programs-->accessories-->'right click' command prompt and 'click' "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR"

Then run this command:

netsh winsock reset

Restart your PC.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@CompWiz, Did you get that solution from here? Just wondering. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

@warlock, nope

HERE

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thanks, As I said just wondering.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Hi Guys.

Just a reminder... that if you are copying from another source, always check out copyright, and at the very least, give the link credit....

Posted 1 year ago

btibbs70

Thank you all who took the time to read and post.
After looking on the 'Net for Broadcom and Intel WiFi drivers, I uninstalled them both.
I was short on time, so I bought a Netgear N150 adapter. WooHoo it works!
Will try the "Run As Admin" suggestion later when I have the time to take the 'puter in for a user repair in case I mess up :-)
Thanks again for your time and responses.bt

Posted 1 year ago

silhouttejames

I have had this happen to one of my older asus laptops before. The internal wireless adaptor was causing the entire computer to crash so I disabled it.

Now I am using a small usb wireless adaptor key and it works fine. Suggest borrowing or buying one to check out the problem.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.