The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Laptop Keyboard not working

(10 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by rupeshkp728
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 1060 times

rupeshkp728

I have dell inspiron 1525 with windows 7 on it.
Today I just disassmbled the laptop cleand the dust and reassembled it.

But now some of the keyboard keys(1,a,q,z,c,d,e,Tab,F4) are not responding.
When I remove the keyboard from laptop and keep just the keyboard cable connected to laptop and then all keys respond properly.

But after fixing the keyboard on laptop key problem starts.

What might be the problem and how to rsolve this issue?

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

http://support.dell.com/suppor.....#wp1180346 See this if you didn't already. Without having it to actually look at it, probably something is not quite back in place. Did everything work prior to disassembly?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

When you say 'keep just the keyboard cable connected to laptop and then all keys respond properly.' Do you mean external keyboard?
What did you fix?
Ensure the spring connectors are locating, prise them up if they are there.
With the internal KB connection it is paramount to insert correctly, the insertion is quite precise. A small amount of movement will mess the KB.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

rupeshkp728

Thanks warlock and vistamike for the reply.

Warlock everything was fine before disassembly.
I had tried the same mentioned in the dell link but it did not help.

vistamike I mean that internal keyboard cable unscrewed(top two screws) from laptop but connected into the laptop keyboard connector. Am I able to make sense?
The keyboard cable look to be properly inserted.

Any idea how fix this issue?

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Something not quite right on your reassembly I would think. Having a problem with the keyboard on the left side. Recheck it, as Vistamike said.

Posted 2 years ago

rupeshkp728

You are right warlock.
Mostly I am seeing key on left side problematic.
I tried a number of times reinserting the keyboard cable in connector but it did not help.
Any inputs?

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Not really. You are the mechanic now. Just needs put back how it was. Could be the cable but, I think it is more the keyboard keys, springs and top.
NOTICE: The key caps on the keyboard are fragile, easily dislodged, and time-consuming to replace. Be careful when removing and handling the keyboard.

Posted 2 years ago

rupeshkp728

Ok I will try it out.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Since it worked before it almost has to be an assembly issue. Good luck.

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

Most probably the problem lies on the keyboard connector. Either it is not properly inserted and/or misaligned. Make sure when you insert the cable to the connector it is all the way in and is perpendicular to the connector. Also when closing the hatch, apply a little bit of inward push on the cable with the other hand since latch when closing will put a little bit of push on the cable which would sometimes cause misalignment or improper contact.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.