The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Laptop Hibernate or Sleep?

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by amkeew
  • Latest reply from amkeew
  • Topic Viewed 281 times

amkeew

When I close the laptop lid, which option is better, hibernate or sleep ? And why?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Personally, I always have hibernate disabled, always have had problems with that, failing to come out of. Have disabled through CMD, powercfg -h off which clears a lot of wasted space (around 3gb).
Same problem with sleep, problems with waking up, so I do not enable sleep either in any power plan.
Both of the above have caused problems in the past.

Most machines will shut power to the screen when lid is closed but you can change other options in control panel.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I go with Mike on that.
Get too many probs posted about those two.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew

Thanks mike and lh.

I have been using hibernate for a long time now but as you say, it takes too long to restart and hogs the RAM slowing down things. So I switched to sleep today and it brings the 'puter up pretty quick. Downside is sleep drains the battery.

If I don't use both these options, and simply close the lid, any downside to it ? The system keeps running and thus drains the battery?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Try Shutdown.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Agree with LH. Sleep and closing the lid while on are only for short term closing if on battery. ie. going down the hall, to another floor. It is not for going home, or overnight. If it will be longer than a few minutes off power, best to shut down.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew

Dankeshane guyz.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.