The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Laptop Freezing

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by DarylG
  • Latest reply from terrens
  • Topic Viewed 285 times

DarylG

Hey guys im a new member, but i've been on HTG mailing list for awhile now and its only now i realized they have forums. anyways im hoping i can get some help with my issue.

While using my laptop sometimes it just freezes for like a minute or so. sometimes it happens when im just online but most of the time it happens when im watching a movie or an episode of a tv show. i use vlc to play all videos so i thought maybe it was the player, i upgraded to the new version 2.0.4 i believe and it would freeze for a second and immediately resume playing. but then it started freezing for about a minute again. i should also mention that on my laptop there are 3 lights, the first showing whether or not the laptop is on, the second is the one that usually blinks to show activity & the third being the battery charging indicator light. when the freeze happens the second light stays on for the duration of the freeze and goes back to its normal blinking when the video resumes playing.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Please and thank you

DarylG

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

It's hard to tell what is going on. I would start by disabling as many startup items as possible:
http://www.howtogeek.com/74523.....n-windows/

Please take into account that you should not disable your antivirus, and there is usually a program that allows trackpad gestures and scrolling in laptops (Synaptics, Alps or others). Most other programs can be disabled safely, and you can enable them later if needed.

Posted 1 year ago

terrens
terrens

Hi.
When it freezes, can you look on Task Manager? If there is something that uses your CPU for higher %, what is it?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!