How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Laptop freezes after clean - installing XP

(4 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by savishypv
  • Latest reply from df26
  • Topic Viewed 1737 times

savishypv

Hi,
My laptop had Vista which I formatted, and installed XP over. After I did this, I find that my laptop crashes frequently, mostly in the XP "Welcome" screen. Alt Ctrl Del doesnt work, the power button doesnt work. So mostly, I remove the battery. [Ouch!]
Can someone please advise me on what to do?

Posted 7 years ago

michael

Well again, I dunno what would be causing this. It seems that to me that your laptop is not very good for running XP.

--
Mike

Posted 7 years ago

bsod

Could possibly be driver issues

Posted 7 years ago

df26

w/o knowing anything about your laptop's original pre-formatted config. it seems that you need to see if it works with original vista setup. laptops are sometimes pre configured w/ proprietary specifications re: drivers etc. when you threw the baby out w/ the bath water. you probably did not realized the driver inventory that went out with it. if it works w/ orig os then try to inventory drivers or consult the laptop vendor about pre vista drivers which is not always ez to fig. i had a laptop custom made w/xp pro/ upgraded to mce my cd/dvd would never work right no matter what i tried. replaced cd/dvdplayer mem processor finally i decided to give vista ultimate a shot reluctantly..w/o any support from the orig manufacturer..now laptop works fine..including cd/dvd burner hope this helps a little

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.