How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Laptop can't connect to Internet

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by robotsneedhugs2
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 558 times

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

I've got an HP DV6810us laptop that I just installed Vista on that won't connect to the internet. It can connect to the WiFi just fine, but can't get past that. I've tried unplugging the modem and router, running network diagnostics, etc. Other devices connect fine. Ipconfig /renew says "Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out." The network adapter is an "Atheros AR5007"

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Try with an ethernet cable (best directly to the modem) and see what happens.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Did the router/modem come from your ISP ?

Posted 1 year ago

robotsneedhugs2
robotsneedhugs2

The wireless adapter must be toast because it connects fine with a cable. Is there something I can do to fix the adapter or would I be better off buying a USB adapter?

Lighthouse, the modem is from Charter and I've got a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

If you are looking for the easiest and probably the least expensive I would go with the wireless USB adapter.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

In the laptops, the wireless adapters die often. Has happened to me too. Suggest you get a USB dongle - best would be the Linksys brand to be compatible with your router. They have these cute little mini dongles now. Those do not stick out on the side.

Here is a Netgear example that I just bought: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NE.....1&lp=8

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.