SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Lack of help -- everywhere except on this forum...

(8 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by OldArkansasTraveler
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 533 times

OldArkansasTraveler

Can anyone tell me WHY one cannot find DECENT help at supposedly reputable sites like (for example), HP.com, or Microsoft, or just about any other site on the web??? It is SO $%&% frustrating to end up with some dweeb who doesn't know anything beyond how to turn the computer on....!
(THIS SITE IS AN EXTRAORDINARY SITE, IN THAT IT HAS INFORMATION -------LOTS OF IT ------ most of it USEFUL..)

Admittedly, I'm a little bitter because I've have problems with a computer from HP, which came with VISTA on it, and Realtek onboard sound, which disappeared as soon as I loaded Windows 7. In trying to fix the problem, I spent hours answering really stupid questions, (yeah, I know there's no such thing as a stupid question !), but these really were STOOO-pid, and I finally gave up. I didn't really need sound on the computer, anyway....!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

OldArkansasTraveler,
---
Please Post Exact Model Number of Machine.
---
VISTA Realtek Driver may have to be force loaded into Win7 using Device Manager and Administrator mode.
---
Waiting ....
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

OldArkansasTraveler

Rick ---
My machine is an HP-Pavilion a6750t originally loaded with Vista, which I upgraded to Windows 7 (professional). (Which works really well for me, by the way.)
And it's weird how no matter which plug I try, the best I can get out of it is a very faint sound, although the meters are dancing like you would expect them to...
Realtek gave up on me a couple days ago, HP doesn't answer my emails now, and Microsoft was laughable in their attempts at solving the problem, (not that I really cared !), and so it goes. I'll get an el-cheapo sound card and install it some day. Should take care of the onboard schtick....

John

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

John,
---
1. And you have downloaded and Installed Correct Sound Driver ??
Driver is Same for 32 and 64 Bit.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=3895001
---
2. Bios sound setting is set for AC instead of High Definition ??
3. Plug is in back middle Lime Green Jack (2 channel / Line Out) ??
4. Realtec is configured for Front Dual speaker only ??
---
Above will simulate 2 channel small desk speakers with good sound.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic

#4 is important, so far i've had 3 windows7 upgrades set the speakers to 7.1 surround sound which gave a 2 speaker stereo set up limited or no sound at all.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

at0mic is Correct concerning #4
---
Have to manually reset and experiment arround a bit as Win7 aways wants to go into 7.1 digital surround sound mode which can cause NO sound on some systems. There is also some imperfect match between the Win7 Speaker settings and how the Realtec settings are adjusted.
Trial and Error but one can make it work.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

I have a REALTEK sound controller on the motherboard as well. First time I booted the system after installing W7 over Vista the speakers knocked me of my chair. They were almost at FULL volume. It seems that W7 added a sound mixer on me. Actually a nicer one than the one I had with RealTek, it allows setting via the mixer per application. However, the RealTek one is still there. After I lowered the W7 mixer to a reasonable volume, all worked well.

So, could your W7 controller actually be the problem here? Sound setting way down?

Mine appears as a speaker icon in white on the SYSTRAY... if you don't see it, it could be hidden?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Yes the difference is subtle in the wording.
---
on mine,
Speakers (RealTek High Definition Audio) works
as opposed to
Realtek Digital Output (RealTek High Definition Audio) which does NOT work.
---
BOTH choices above can be found in the White speaker icon mixer settings in the system tray.
---
Also, the Orange Realtek HD Audio Manager is in the system tray and must be setup for Speakers as Default with their properties sheet and pictures.
---
Had to switch the microphone from Front Mic Default to the Microphone Default to get the Mic working properly.
---
As I said, takes a bit of experimentation but most can get all sound devices working properly in Win7.
---
Not sure why every machine is a bit different but the question has come up very often in the forum.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.