The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

kodac photos vs windows photo gallery

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dandee4u4
  • Latest reply from sahlgoode
  • Topic Viewed 1551 times

dandee4u4

I just recieved 100 pictures of our first great grand sons birth and the occassion was filmed by kodac gallery and we recieved them via email. I tried to send them to my windows photo gallery and they all had to be transfered one by one and they are shown in a very small square and when you try to enlarge them they become extremely blurred. Plz help TKS dandee4u4

Posted 5 years ago

sahlgoode
sahlgoode

Kodak seems to be a very proprietary with their software, and make it almost impossible for to do what you're asking. (That I'm aware of)
I host photo's from my family in a gallery on AOL. Most of my family are Kodak crazy, because we were brought up with it's "Brownie" model.(yeah, I'm showing my age) and because we live all over the continent, e-mail was the only way to gather material for the project.

In the past, they were sending me photos using Kodak software, and I was having the same problem. The only workaround that I could come up with was to have them "Not" use Kodak, but to send as attachments in e-mail. I know that it sounds like a lot of e-mails, given size limitations,
(especially in Windows Mail), but we've done for over 2,500 photo's so far, and it has worked like a charm.

Your problem is compounded by the "size limitations" of e-mail. You can't expect to send or receive 100 photo's, and not have them re-sized in order for them to be sent.

The plus is, you will have larger clearer pictures which will allow for better editing in Photoshop like software. (should you be so inclined)

If there is another answer to your question, believe me, I'll be watching this post to find it.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I suggest the following ways to solve your problem:
1. With Kodak Gallery - You have to display every photo and then copy/paste it into your Windows picture folder - quite tedious
2. You can ask the photos to be attached to an email (as the previous poster suggests). Problem here is that most ISPs allow only attachments of 2 to 3GB's which limits you to 2 to 5 photos per mail.
3. You put a larger number of photos into a .zip folder and upload it to Live Sky Drive http://skydrive.live.com/. Then you can download them from there. This is handy for bulk.
4. You upload them to Photobucket http://photobucket.com/. From here they are easy to retrieve too.
5. For large quantities, you can first convert them to .pdf files (e.g. with doPDF http://www.dopdf.com/ or from a Word 2007 file where you can put several per page). That will reduce the amount of bytes significantly and then use method 2 or 3 to transfer them over the net. Disadvantage: they will no more be in .jpg/jpeg and you can only look at them. If you wanted to do further processing with those, you would have to snip them from the (e.g.) Adobe view.

Posted 5 years ago

sahlgoode
sahlgoode

@whs:
Not that I hadn't thought of your solution, but my family members would have used the term "blurred" and not "pixelated". When I get a chance to visit, I try and teach them how to load their pictures without using Kodak software. Making them understand that there is more to their computers, and the internet other than e-mail, would be too complicated for them to understand.

I agree. Ideally the way to go.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!