How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Kindle screen saver

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from amkeew
  • Topic Viewed 608 times

LarrySr
LarrySr

I just got a Kindle and I really like it, but, when I turn it off it puts a picture on the screen. It seems to have quite a different verity of pictures that it randomly uses. I am not sure if it is called a "screen saver" or not but I would like to be able to change this picture to one of my own choice. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

those are not screensavers as you have on your computer where you can set the image of your preference.
i beleive those are actually more like ads for stuff. (they actually call them 'special offers') the kindle edition / version that you have is what they call ad supported / [your kindle 'edition' / version] w/ special offers
heres an example of actually the one that i own ...

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-S.....e+keyboard

see in the ad the two options change when you mouse over them ...

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

No; you are wrong. I purchased my Kindle without special offers. When I turn my Kindle off it just shows black & white pictures. One of them is a picture of raised letters and another is a picture of rolled up newspapers. So they must me stored somewhere and thus I should be able to change them.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

I just bought a Kindle Fire HD and I too need to find out how to get rid of those ads on the 'lock screen'. That's the only thing that bothers as of yet about it.

Hope someone knows something about this and in the meantime I'll "Google" it!

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

might not have to go too far. check it out ...
Jailbreak Your Kindle for Dead Simple Screensaver Customization

btw, larrysr, im not wrong. everything i posted is 100% correct. if you would have been more thorough and posted that before i would have not posted the info that i took the time to post. i was also thinking that you might not know the difference between actually shutting it down or putting it to sleep (where you'd still get the ads). as per your exact words "when I turn it off"

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Because I purchased my Kindle without "special offers" I do not get any ads I just get pictures. My Kindle is only in black and white so the pictures are black and white. If I could figure out how to attach a picture of my Kindle I would do that but when I click on image it only allows for a url.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Well looks like it'll take $15.00 good ones to get rid of mine.. xD

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

I don't know about adding pictures but if you hold the off/on switch for 10 seconds it will go blank.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

LarrySr, check here http://kindletips.wordpress.co.....he-kindle/

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

good job ronniesonora,
larrysr, like i said - didnt know the difference between turning it off and putting it to sleep.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Glad I could help.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

Vjistual; you are still WRONG because my Kindle did not get special offers it was purchased without special offers and it did have screen saver pictures. I followed the information that was provided and was able to put my own pictures in as screen savers. Are you always so rude to everyone?

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

no. only when someone deserves it ...
you should be more thorough when posting so that people dont waste their time giving feedback on what doesnt apply.

you should also look at the manual and you would have known the difference between putting that thing to sleep and turning it off.

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

I have the old kindle 3G (b&w). It goes into sleep (when you don't use it for more than a few minutes) and shows pics of some old writers. No ads whatsoever. But then I keep the wireless/3G turned off 99% of the time and turn it on only when I need to download some books.

The battery even in sleep mode usually lasts for more than a month for me.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!