SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Kindle or smartphone camera as good as actual digital camera?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bassdude66
  • Latest reply from bassdude66
  • Topic Viewed 421 times

bassdude66

Hello all,

My wife received a Kindle for Christmas (standard, basic Kindle, not a Fire HD). We also, sometime before Christmas, changed wireless carriers and now have smartphones (Samsung Galaxy S Blazes). In addition, I purchased her a 16 MP camera for Christmas. All of a sudden, we have a plethora of technology and are wondering about some different options......one of her needs is to be able to take good quality pictures on a summer trip to Costa Rica. We are wondering, though, if that can be accomplished with one of the higher-end Kindles, possibly the new Fire HD, or if her Galaxy S Blaze would take pictures of high enough quality to compare to the 16 MP digital camera? If so, we might return the digital camera and the basic Kindle and upgrade her to the Kindle Fire. As always, any help from the awesome HTG group would be appreciated! Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

for true comparison try and see if you can post back the make and model of the camera just to make sure the playing field is level.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Those cameras in the tablets and smartphones are of very minimal quality. There is no way they can take pictures like a real 16MP camera. And it is not only the MPs that make the difference - also the quality of the lens.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Define 'good'?

Generally speaking 'single taskers' will always outperform 'multi-taskers'. However, in this case, there are 2 things to consider. First the picture itself. Are you going to PRINT them? Create a slideshow? Crop the pictures?

What you see on a tablet or camera display can be quite different from what they look at when printed. The camera will clearly outshine the tablet here. If all you are going to do is make slideshows for PC or TV, it is possible both are OK. Cropping, the 16MP will work much better as, depending on the area cropped, the resolution will still be good, even for printing. Check this LINK (2nd PAGE) for approximate print capability.

Lastly is picture retention. On a camera you can buy large SD cards. With an 8GB card my 12.1MP camera can HOLD about 3,300 pictures or 30 minutes of movies. Not only that, and can always pop in another card. Tablet, constrained by the available memory on the device. However, since the MP is probably lower, and if it isn't full, the tablet should also be able to save thousands of pictures. My iPad has 1,900 on it (I transfer from the camera to it, picture size is that of the camera while on vacation) so if you have the space (mine is a 64GB model) that shouldn't matter.

The real difference will be ZOOM. My iPad has NONE but there are programs I think that allow that, but that would be digitally vs. optical which is always preferred. Mine is 16x zoom optical, and that makes a world of difference vs the iPad.

I would use the camera, almost a no brainer, besides it is easier to carry around. How many people do you see taking pictures with a tablet? Many do with phones, but not tablets vs. a camera.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

If you try to take a picture of an animal or youngster, they will likely have left the picture, by the time the camera "captures" on a phone. Pictures are still for cameras, in my limited experience.

Posted 1 year ago

bassdude66

Sorry it took me so long to respond.......thanks for all the great info! We're going to keep the digital and use it since it seems the prevailing opinion is that nothing beats it for quality pics. Thanks again!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!