The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Keyboard is not responding!!!!!

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by spyaaaaa
  • Latest reply from sparky7415
  • Topic Viewed 3386 times

spyaaaaa

I've set up a password for my laptop for a while now. But few minutes ago, I set the laptop into a sleeping mode, and then when I try to recover it by typing in the password, the keyboard is not responding!!I've tried to restart and shut down the computer, but it stilldoesn't work. How can I fix the it?Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 6 years ago

spyaaaaa

Can keyboard be locked?

Posted 6 years ago

Dcw329

try finding a USB keyboard, and plug it into your laptop, then once your loged on, see if you can find the problem... if you cant find one, most computers come standerd with the "on screen keyboard"... use it to log on if you dont have a external one. it can be accessed at the login screen... there should be a button on the lower left... i cant remember exactly where, but you should be able to find it... (its not like you have much to look through... lol)...

as for acctualy fixing it... im not sure what to do... does the mouse work on the touch pad? is it just the letter keys or the whole board... like the power/F1's/(calander buttons if you have them)/alt+ctrl+del

you might need to give us more... but once your logged on with one of my recommended tricks, go to the help and support (located in start menu) and search "turning off keyboard" or "disabling keyboard" or something like that to see if you hit a 'hotkey' or somthing to turn it off...

if that still doesnt help, try startmenu >>> control panel >>> hardware and sound >>> keyboard >>> check keyboard status... and then click the device that shows up (if theres more than one, you might see the one you pluged in, or had pluged in in the past... if so, look for the one to your laptop) then see if it sais, "device is working properly" or not...

let us know if this helps, and get back with us... im not sure what to do about a keyboard for a laptop, but this is what i would trouble shoot first if i had the problem....

hope it helps
DCW329

Posted 6 years ago

spyaaaaa

The whole board is not working including the letter board, touchpad and those quick touch buttons(ajusting sounds,mute button etc.)

I've tried all of the solutions you gave me, but none of them seem to be working.

The laptop shows that the keyboard is working properly.

The laptop is working fine, no other problems.

What do you think the problem could be, the hardware or software problems?

Posted 6 years ago

Dcw329

it sounds like hardware... i would take it in to the bestbuy geek squad if you have warrenty... they may or may not be able to fix it... but since i cant see the laptop myself, im limited on what i can help you with... and no, the geek squad might not be the best for the job, its somewhere to start...

wether its hardware or software, i think either will be a b!tch to fix...

but i think its hardware (but it could still be software), because the mouse pad isnt working either, so i have to ask... did you bang/hit/place anything heavy on your laptop, ect... could you have spilled anything on it? how long was it out of your sight? could one of your kids (if you have any), or a friend messed with it, and be ashamed to tell you? did you put it in a differnt enviorment than normal (like in a carrying bag, outside, somewhere really cold, hot, or moist) ?

if its software than you may need to dump your computer or just the section with the controls... im not sure where that part would be off of the top of my head...

im going to do some reasearch really quick and see if i can find anything that could help you... ill be back in a hour or so with somemore information on what could have done it... but i still recomend you get a second opinion from a profesional... and dont do anything over the phone, because that just gets anoying, and it rarely helps you... you need to do it in person, so thats why i recomend someone like the geeksquad... but if you have a better place somewhere around town, try there...

i asume since you got to log on, that you pluged in a mouse and/or keyboard to do it... this means your USB works right? how many of your other plugs work? does your CD drive work? headphones and mic? does the power button work, because its normaly in the same general area as the mute...

anyways, ill be right back... let me know if you find out anything new

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

If possible try system restore,as the problem seemed to have started when you messed with the sleep mode.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.