Hi All, I have random crashes and reboots stemming from a kernel power 41 critical error. I have a stock ASUS U56E laptop running Windows 7, 64 bit.

My laptop has:
Intel i3-2310 2.1 gig processor (It is NOT set to overclock)
4 gigs RAM
240 gig HD

There are no bug checks or mini dumps recorded. Sometimes instead of rebooting it will just completely crash with a black screen. I have NEVER had a BSOD. Sometimes it’ll crash three or four times per day. Sometimes it’ll crash once every couple days. It’s totally random and there’s no consistency to when it occurs. Sometimes the laptop is idle. Sometimes I’m typing or surfing. It occurs on battery AND when plugged in. The crashes are totally random but seem to be worse just after a peripheral piece of hardware has been removed from a USB port (a phone, a mouse, etc.). However, that is NOT the only time it crashes. It just seems it might happen more after that.

A couple months ago I contacted ASUS tech support and after following their instructions they suggested I take it into their service center for diagnostics and repair. Subsequently everything was tested, including the power supply. A new motherboard and new RAM were installed. The hard drive checks out perfectly (after numerous tests). When I got the laptop back it worked perfectly for about 4 weeks. After that, the same kernel power 41 errors started again. I then updated every driver on my laptop. I finally thought I had success. But about a month later the crashes started again. I then found multiple ‘solutions’ on Google and did a number of them. I followed the Microsoft solutions, scenario 3 fits my criteria, found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504#method3

Everything they suggest has been done.

Here are a list of other things I have I done.
1) Changed power options where hard drive never turns off
2) Changed power options to never sleep by itself
3) Changed power option to never hibernate
4) Disabled winhttp web proxy auto discovery
5) Disabled Flash player auto update
6) Deleted Flash cache and disabled hardware acceleration
7) Disabled all software that starts on Windows start up

Should I update the bios? This problem seems to occur a lot and there seems to be a lot of answers that seldom seem to fix anything. I welcome any other suggestions.

Also, here is the kernel 41 error data that I get from Event Viewer:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-02-25T17:01:48.324820800Z" />
<EventRecordID>74334</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Phils-laptop</Computer>