The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

keep current e-mail address but change isp provider

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by JThavis
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 6317 times

JThavis

I have had the same e-mail address for many years but it is linked to my isp provider. now i want to change isp provider but keep the same e-mail address. the current e-mail address is web based.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Most, if not all, web based email accounts, such as with yahoo, rocketmail (yahoo), hotmail, gmail, etc., should work with any ISP (which is why I use one). I'm not sure what you mean by linked to your ISP?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

I know what you mean. No you can't. That address is tied to the ISP.
Always better to have a free web based account (as LF mentioned).

Posted 4 years ago

Scott
Scott

It's not so much that your account is 'web-based', it's that you're not
using an email client to view your mail. The work around is to keep
the most minimal account with the old ISP, maybe a dial-up for a few
dollars a month, and you'll still have access to their email servers and
be able to retain your address. I did that with Verizon for more than a decade.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

To expand on what Scott had to say, what I did when I got fed up with Earthlink a few years ago was to set up a free Yahoo account and start using an email address from there. I notified everyone on my Earthlink address to start using the new one, then everytime I received an email from someone on the old Earthlink address, I sent out a message I copied and pasted into the body (so it would be consistent and appear computer generated) telling the person emailing me to use the new address (I otherwise wouldn't reply). I kept the old addy for a few months then abandoned it when I finally told Earthlink to take a hike.

One big problem is many business (vendors, etc.) use an email address for an account name. It will be necessary to go to each of those accounts and change the email address to th new one. It's a royal hurt in the donkey, but once changed to an email address from a stable source, you shouldn't have to do it again unless too many spammers get your email address. A way around that is to use a second address, usually free, strictly for use with businesses you transact with. The dowside is you have to check both addresses.

I've used the new addy in two different ISPs and whenever I travel with no problems. I get very little spam (average of one or two every week or two at most) because I'm careful about where I go on the web, I'm very, very careful about who I give my email addy out to, and when I do get spam, I immediately delete it without opening it to avoid "encouraging" the %$#@! sorry s.o.b.s. I don't like to use spam filters because, every now and then, they block desired email and, since I have to check the spam folder to make sure I don't lose anything I want, I feel it's less hassle to deal with the spam myself. eventually, the spammers decide it's a dead addy and give up.

I will NOT use Hotmail because they require to have my cookies activated (hey, it's my cottonpickin' computer, I'll determine who puts what on it and I don't want everyone and their dog tracking me). I didn't like Gmail (felt cumbersome). Yahoo has worked well for me (Rocketmail is a domain Yahoo adopted to give more choice for addresses).

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.