The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

kasperski disappeared

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shebaben
  • Latest reply from bigp-london
  • Topic Viewed 441 times

shebaben

I was following the prompt to "update" my Kasperski anti-virus software and, instead of updating, the whole thing disappeared! No icon, no nothing. When I look at "uninstall programs in the control panel, it lists it, but it is nowhere to be found. The next day or so, I added the Firefox extensions Ghostery and AdBlock. Howcan I find and activate my Kasperski? Thanks....

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

It should be listed in your all programs menu.

Posted 1 year ago

shebaben

That's what I thought too but it is not there.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Have a look in the Program libraries (both). Then make a shortcut to the desktop from the .exe (there may be several .exes. Make sure you get the one that starts it).

Posted 1 year ago

shebaben

I can't find anything called "program libraries" - could you tell this amateur what and where they might be??? Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Computer > Double click on the C: partition > Program files and Program files x86.

Posted 1 year ago

shebaben

Thanks..found them but there is no Kaspersky listed anywhere. Will it have a different name? I tried to copy the list - it let me copy but will not let me paste it here. Really appreciate your help!

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

If the program file still exists is it found by typing Kaspersky in the the search box?

How is Kaspersky supplied, through your internet provider?

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I am not sure how it would be called in the Program Files. I never used Kaspersky. Maybe you should switch to another AV program. MSE is free and Norton Internet Security for 3 systems you can get for free (after Mir) from Newegg today.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

My guess: Kaspersky 'forgot' to install after it uninstalled it's older version.

Simply go to Kaspersky download page, download the TRIAL version of the version you bought (Antivirus or Internet Security etc).
Install the trial and when prompted enter your registration / license info.

If that doesn't work, use the removal tool to completely remove traces left behind during the uninstall by running the Kaspersky Removal Tool.

Note that when Kaspersky is being uninstalled 'normally' (via Control Panel) it generally asks if you want to keep configuration and registration files.
If you run the removal tool those files will be erased.

So, first step: try to instal the trial with your valid license.

Posted 1 year ago

bigp-london

I agree with the last post - I have seen this too.
follow the suggest root, download a trial copy and activate it with your key.
I would not bother with the removal tool first though.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.