How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Just inquiring

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Zeidan
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1386 times

Zeidan
Zeidan

I was just wondering if Symantec Corporate Edtion is a good choice for an antivirus, I keep reading everywhere on Norton Symantec but I haven't seen reviews on Symantec Antivirus, not even on CNET. Does anyone know a respectable site that reviewed [Symantec Antivirus] ?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Zeidan,
Welcome to The HTG Forums.
I don't know about Symantec but have personally seen Kaspersky 2009 (MISS) (2) Rootkits which the free program below was able to catch and destroy.

http://www.superantispyware.co.....NTISPYWARE

Another member maybe running Symantec so keep watching your topic.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

There are many websites that make security suite comparisons. Here is a pretty decent one http://www.av-comparatives.org.....rview.html If you look for Symantec products, you also have to look under NORTON. I run Norton IS and Kaspersky. They are both decent and I have never caught any malware (knock on wood). The program that Rick referred to is good for scanning. I use that sometimes too. It finds tracking cookies and some minor stuff (fortunately nothing serious) but it has found and deleted serious problems on other people's systems.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

nod32 is an excellent antivirus. you can't even tell it's running. i run eset smart security and training the firewall wasn't a chore like other security suites. i had kaspersky last year and thought it was excellent. but nod32 actually let my computer run so i bought it with 3 or 4 months left on kaspersky. norton 360 was a good concept, i'm not sure if the updated version still only supports internet explorer. it was pretty naggy. i don't have an opinion on free antivirus, use that junk at your own risk.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I was really amazed at the SuperAntiSpyware FREE program which (WHS) always recommends for catching (some) items.
Couldn't even knock out the "rootkits" manually in Dos and NTFS Dos but that program sure could. Fortunately they were on a friends machine on the bench so I could "play" with several solutions.
===============================
Also think (0z's) recommendation of nod32 is a good solution from what I've read.
===============================
Take a look at this thread, last post at the end of thread from Jack with links concerning free Antivirus software reviews on HTG.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=16
================================
To be truthful, have never been able to figure out why my machines never get a virus, but will post the answer immediately if I do.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

The OP was asking about Symantec Antivirus, NOT Norton AV:
http://www.symantec.com/busine.....te-edition

I used to run Symantec AV when I worked for a corporation that made it available free to employees. A corporate security suite is geared more toward protecting the business versus protecting just one individual. A personal security software or suite, such as Norton AV (from Symantec) is more user friendly and designed for only protecting one user's systems. Corporate security suites will have features to help the IT department push new definitions to employees, lock out features that employees should not mess with and so on.

If you want a review of corporate security software, you will need to look toward the "trade" mags or their websites. This is not my area of expertise, so I don't know the reputable names. Publications such as c|net are primarily geared toward the individual with a smattering of industry news thrown in.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!