The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Just a question :P

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Bibbster
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 949 times

Bibbster

So i want to get myself windows 7 ultimate which is like 180 but i found a site where i can get the upgrade version for 59.99 and was wondering would i be able to upgrade from windows vista home premium to windows 7 ultimate and like do a clean install so bassicly do a clean install with and upgrade disc ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Posted 4 years ago

papasmurf
papasmurf

You might want to look at the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on the Microsoft website for full details.

The upgrade will all depend on which version you buy, if you buy a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade then yes you will be able to upgrade to Win7 Ultimate. However, check the upgrade you have seen as it sounds a little low for Ultimate and may only be a Home Premium upgrade. Generally an OS upgrade can not be installed from scratch and needs an existing OS to install over - hence the word upgrade!

And make sure you dont buy an 'Anytime upgrade' as these are only to upgrade Windows 7 versions (e.g. Home Premium to Professional).

Posted 4 years ago

Bibbster

I know i was just asking to save a bit of money cause id rather have a clean install... :P

Posted 4 years ago

papasmurf
papasmurf

Well strictly off record, you can install Vista from scratch from an upgrade DVD but I've not tried it with Win7. Just ask Mr Google about 'clean install Vista upgrade' ;)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

You can borrow a disk to re-install. As long as it is the same version, and you have your own product key.

Posted 4 years ago

papasmurf
papasmurf

An upgrade product key won't install a full version OS.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

I didn't mean an Uprade disk. Should have mentioned that.

Posted 4 years ago

papasmurf
papasmurf

Sorry, wasn't trying to flame you. Think OP wants to upgrade from Vista to Win7 and not just a reinstall.

Posted 4 years ago

cobija

to answer your question, yes, you may upgrade this. I called microsoft asking a similar question. here are some key pts to follow:

A) upgrading < clean install: reason for this is that you get better performance with a clean install

B) upgrade vs full version: this was my question, because i have vista home prem and i bought win 7 pro, and i was wondering since i got it for 30 dollars (win741.com) and it was an upgrade. the man at microsoft said the upgrade can be used to upgrade ANY OS. full is for a computer that has no current OS installed on the computer.

C) This doesnt imply to you, but if you upgrade, you cant downgrade upgrade (haha that sounds weird). meaning if you have vista ultimate, you cant use 7 home prem, or likewise ultimate 64 bit with pro 32 bit.

hope this helped!!

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

More info, it's old, but still applies,
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=196

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!