How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

judge this pc?

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by lancex95
  • Latest reply from lancex95
  • Topic Viewed 932 times

lancex95

http://www.walmart.com/catalog.....d=10859126

instead of building my gaming pc, i saw this and im definately thinking of buying it. its 500 cheaper than what i was gonna build and looks pretty good but i want some opinion on it. Check it out for me please and give your opinion, is it a good pc? im not a super extreme hardcore gamer but i play some games with high graphics and that are demanding. key things about this: 750gb hd, 8gb ram, windows vista x64

basically is this a good pc?

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw
milnerw

I didn't think Vista x64 was good for gaming? Am I wrong?

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

well if anything i can dualboot it. i planned to install my copy of XP Professional, and i can dualboot vista on it as well. i mean before when i was gonna build my pc, i was told to get vista x64

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

My biggest concern would be the graphics adapter. The listing from Walmart doesn't mention it, but I found a specs page at HP:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=3876397

This says the graphics is a GeForce 9500 GS. I'm not an expert on Nvidia graphics, and they make *way* too many to keep track of. However, it seems to me that even an entry-level gaming machine should have a GeForce 8800 or 9800 GPU. Of course, it's possible that the 9500 GS will do until a later upgrade. It depends on the games that you will be playing.

EDIT: oops, there it is plain as day in the paragraph: "Nvidia GeForce 9500 graphics card". I was expecting to see it in the bullet list.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, it is a quad, but only at 2.33GHz. I would rather go for a fast duo core (e.g. 3.2GHz). For gaming that would definitely be a better bet. I own a 2.4GHz quad and I am not really too pleased with it's performance. You could, of course, study the overclocking options for this quad. I have seen my model (Q6600) overclocked to 3.4GHz - now that would is good. Then you still have the graphics question that ScottW raised.

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

heh i guess scott answered his own question there, frankly the graphics card is good for what im gonna be playing, its not like im gonna go play Crysis on high or somethin.

i already ordered the pc cause my mom was paying for it as a gift,

and would the core make to big a difference? like how will it effect the computer? cause i do some gaming on my Compaq Presario F761US and i doubt that has a strong core, but it does some pretty good gaming at least, performs well even though i wish i could handle more graphics on it.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Based on the specs of that Presario laptop, your new HP should run circles around it. A portable laptop isn't meant for gaming. With a 1.9 GHz Athlon X2 and a "mobile" GeForce chip, I'm amazed you can do much gaming at all with that Presario. The HP should provide far more gaming power.

Posted 5 years ago

raijin

I've heard some things about the Q8200 in particular. No reliability issues, but they(writers in a review of quad cores) said this quad core is mediocre for some reason. Let me find the link of that review to give you better details. Oh and I planned on making a gaming machine too, and it's only a 100 dollars more expensive with a better video card(9800 GTX) and a Q9400. Too bad I don't have the money to build it. Oh I'll just put up this review since I couldn't find the original, unfortunately Q6600 vs Q8200 Anyway, your computer will still be ten times better than a laptop. I'm on an even slower laptop with most likely a worse video card than you at the moment. 1.55 Ghz core 2 duo, Ati Mobility radeon 1400, and 1GB of ram. My laptop struggles to play CSS; it makes me sad.

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

as far as overclocking, im not gonna do that cause it never turns out well for me. ask the 4 video cards laying in a box in my closet now.

but the presario laptop worked suprisingly well for my gaming needs, i played Lineage 2 on all highs with it perfectly fine, albeit a tad of graphic lag on some occasions, but my pc has just needed a major upgrade for a long time. its an old custom built one, 80gb hd, Nvidia GeForce FX5500 PCI Graphics card is the most recent thing abt it xD and only like a gig or 2 of RAM running Windows XP Professional

now will i be able to dual boot XP on this machibe? casue i wanna dual boot the vista and the xp just because of some compatibility issues with games and programs and shit.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!