The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Java Uninstalled

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Janie
  • Latest reply from Janie
  • Topic Viewed 477 times

Janie

If I uninstall Java, as you'all recommend, what difference will I notice? Will it effect my desktop icons? What will it actually effect?

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Hi Janie
Why not disable it first...
Then if you find you are not needing it you can do a complete uninstall.

I have mine disabled as( a previous posting) but find Grandson needs it for one of his games. So I keep it Disabled until he needs it.
Then do a good clean up putting it back on Disabled.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Very little if anything from my experience, although if you use web sites that use Java functions (not to be confused with JavaScript) then the sites won't display properly.

If you are talking about removing it from your browser that is. (this can always be disabled and enabled as and when).

If you are referring to the Java found in Control Panel then ??? I haven't found a single issue having had it removed for some time now.

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

In my programs to Uninstall, there are 3 Java files:
Java 7 Update 17 - Oracle
Java(TM) Update 38 - Oracle
Java(TM) Update 17 (64 bit) - Sun Microsystems

Would I uninstall all three?

I may try just disabling it first, not sure. Where do I completely disable it, to try that first?

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Are you on Chrome or FF?

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

Chrome

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

You can enable Java and Flash together for a site all the time or just the once but by default disables it for all sites. It's called Click To Play.

Settings > Advanced Settings > Privacy > Content Settings > Plugins > Click to Play > Done

After doing the above you'll see a white icon in the right side of the address bar with a red cross through it on any site where plugins are blocked. When you need to enable flash or Java click on the white icon and make your choice either just once or all the time. For flash you can click on the icon in the centre of the blocked video screen to enable just that time. If you always want to enable flash for Youtube say, click on the icon in the address bar.

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

Thank you for the help. I have disabled Java & Flash with Click to Play. It's no problem for me to just click on the icon in the centre of the video each time. I don't watch a lot of videos anyway. I haven't noticed anything else different.....yet. :)

Just in case I decide to uninstall Java, would I uninstall each of these 3 below in my Programs List? Is the one by Sun different than the ones by Oracle?

Java 7 Update 17 - Oracle
Java(TM) Update 38 - Oracle
Java(TM) Update 17 (64 bit) - Sun Microsystems

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

It's obvious with flash that it's disabled but a website requiring Java will ask you install a java plugin if it needs it. Don't do that, instead click the white icon, enable the plugin in the form you desire (all the time or once only) and refresh the page by clicking the curly arrow next to the forward/Back button up top left in Chrome.

Yes, uninstall all of them if you want rid.

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

Okey dokey, thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.