The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Java Problem

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by COMPIDIOT
  • Latest reply from COMPIDIOT
  • Topic Viewed 5372 times

ScottW

Compidiot: you're welcome. I would love to get a remote assistance connection and poke around on your system. I'm sure there is a way to fix this.

Have you ever tried the Mozilla Firefox browser? It uses the same Java run-time environment and might work better for your Pool game.

Posted 6 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Whats thats remote assistance connection?

Ive never tried tried that Mozilla Firefox.
I always thought it was like another kind of Internet Explorer that you had to have installed on your system.
Ill check it out though and tell you what happens.

Thanks again.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

remote assistance is where some one can have acess to your computer from another location to help you fix things or such. and you can get firefox here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Remote Assistance is in Windows XP and Windows Vista for someone else to help you with computer problems.
You would need to set up port forwarding in the Firewall settings though unless you have Windows Firewall.
How it works is the person needing help sends an invite to the person who will help (Helper) and the helper will then see the other screen and can help the person with the problem.
The helper can also ask to control the mouse and keyboard of the screen themselfs to help. There is a shortcut key (Escape) to return to view only mode in case the person being helped isn't happy with what the helper is doing.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

@COMPIDIOT, if Firefox doesn't do it, you should also try Opera 9.50 Beta. It is lightening fast. This is another browser - and a good one.
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/next/

Posted 6 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Thanks for explaining that for me.(Remote Assistance)

Im going to try those other browsers first and if that doesnt work I guess Ill make a new topic for that Remote Assistance.

Do I need to like uninstall IE to try those other browsers?

Thanks for the help.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Even if you could uninstall IE -- you can't really -- it's not necessary. Firefox and IE get along just fine. I haven't used Opera, but I would be very surprised if it conflicted with the others.

Posted 6 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Cool Im gonna try those and get back with results.(Probaly not tonight though)

Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

You can have as many browsers as you like in paralell. I have never seen a conflict - I have 4. As ScottW says, IE is a fixed part of Windows that you cannot remove. All the others you can uninstall if you don't like them any more.

Posted 6 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Well once again another problem has been resolved!(Hopefully for good)

Downloaded Firefox and it worked without any trouble.
I guess I gotta get used to it though because it seems kinda weird but it works.:)
Im going to fool around with it and hopefully Ill get used to it.

Havent tried that Opera one yet but Ill get to it eventually.

Once again...
THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!!

It is greatly appreciated.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Compidiot: glad to hear that you have a solution that will let you play Yahoo Pool and run any other Java applets you run into in the future. I continue to believe that there is nothing wrong with your IE7 specifically. I highly doubt that your IE7 install is corrupted or broken. It's most likely some software conflict, perhaps with add-ons or perhaps with some other software seemingly unrelated to browsing.

If you can ever lure a knowledgeable geek friend to your house, they might be able to figure it out. This gives me an idea for a thread in the OT....

Posted 6 years ago

COMPIDIOT

@ScottW I dunno whats wrong with my IE but everything works fine except for the game issue.I think I might just use Firefox primarily for games because Im so used to IE and I really like that add on (IEPro7).Eventually Ill have someone check out my pc.
Thanks again.

Quick question...
In Firefox in the bottom right hand corner above my taskbar it says "Hide IP ready...", I do have a program calle Hide IP Platinum but it is not turned on.Just wondering if theres a way to get rid of this or would I have to uninstall the progam?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Since you installed Firefox after Hide IP, it should not be able to install itself as an add-on to Firefox. Most likely it is running, even if you don't see it in the system tray. Check Task Manager for a process or service. If you use a local e-mail client such as Windows Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird, it is probably anonymizing your IP for mail as well. If you want to turn it off in Firefox either find the settings and change them, or just uninstall it completely.

Posted 6 years ago

COMPIDIOT

OK. Appreciate the quick response,will try tomorrow.(My beds calling me)

Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.