The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - java install does not stay, now affecting IE

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by villaverla
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 3601 times

villaverla

Help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Java several times. I have gone to Tools, Manage add ins, and turned it off, turned it on. Now I am not sure WHAT should be on and off.

I am running windows XP, laptop several years old, IE7. When I try to uninstall Java from Control Panel, there are 2 Jave items - it tells me it can't uninstall the one called Jave 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.1_07, it CAN uninstall the one called Jave 6 Update 6. I have gone to Java Sun website, their help tells me to download Windows uninstaller program, but that doesn't get rid of it, either. I seem to have 1.4 turned off in Tool|Manage Addons.

If this was ALWAYS consistent, maybe it would be easier. But, it doesn't seem to be. Sometimes I get errors saying Java runtime environment cannot be loaded, sometimes it says Several Java Virtual Machines running in the same process.

Now when I close IE, I get three error messages, one after the other -
First one says The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a5b. I click ok.
Then Runtime error 217 at 02E9EAEA. I click OK.
then The instruction at "0x2e746e65" referenced memory at "0x2e746e65". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.
Can anyone help me?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

villaverla, let's start by getting rid of the old Java installations, if possible. Use this simple tool, JavaRa, to remove old Java. Before you run it, shutdown any browsers and turn off Java if it's running in your system tray. Get the tool from the author's website:
http://prm753.bchea.org/JavaRa.html

I know the URL looks unusual, but it is legitimate. The tool isn't malware, I scanned it with every online scan engine available and ran the app on my system. For some reason, it doesn't seem to work in Vista, but worked fine on XP SP2. BTW, what service pack do you have for XP?

Once you are rid of the old Java install, try IE7 again and see if you still get the same errors.

Posted 6 years ago

villaverla

I have service pack 2 installed, have not had the courage to do pack 3, but maybe that would solve some of my problems?

I am going to download your tool, get rid of current Jave. Try IE7 again. Then reinstall Jave from Sun website. I will post again when I have done that.

Any recommendations on Service pack 3?

Posted 6 years ago

villaverla

Yay! It looks like this solved my problem. I have opened and closed IE7 with no errors, the couple things I usually check Java with seem fine.

thank you so much.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Great news! Glad I could be of help.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.