SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Java errors . . . MS Updates??

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2132 times

BobJam

I've been getting that "Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded" error and that "Several Java Virtual Machines running" error ever since I did those MS patch updates that came out recently.

I don't know if the two are related yet, because I've just started troubleshooting it.

I have Java 6 Upgrade 7. I DO NOT have any previous Java versions on my machine, so I'm a little confused about the "Several Java Virtual Machines running" error because that usually indicates a previous version is on the machine and is "fighting" for control. I'm pretty religious about getting rid of previous versions.

There was a bug reported in July of 2007 that was in version 1.6.0 build b105 that produced the "Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded" error, but that's long since been remedied by Sun, and besides I never had that error with version 6 Upgrade 2.

I've uninstalled Java 6 Upgrade 7 several times, and the last one I did was with Revo to dig out the registry remnants (there were 1662 of them!!! Sheeesh!!). Before I dug out those registry remnants, I was first getting the "Several Java Virtual Machines running" error and then after OK (which was the only option), I'd get the "Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded" error. But after I dug out the registry remnants with Revo, and reinstalled of course, I just got the "Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded" error . . . I don't know if that's a clue though. There may have been registry remnants left behind by previous versions when I did the incomplete Control Panel Removal before I got Revo.

I also deleted the Java cache folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<my user name>\Application Data\Sun\Java, but still no joy.

My next step is going to be to remove those confounded MS Updates one at a time and see if that does it. But this troubleshooting is very tedious since each time I have to remove those 1662 Registry entries that Revo finds and Java leaves, and then download (with my slow dial up) and reinstall Java. With six or seven MS patches to try it's going to take a while. The real pisser in that is going to be if none of it does it after all that work.

Being without Java has really not impeded my surfing habits all that much. I can still visit my forums and send and receive emails and download and upload stuff. I get the warnings when I go to sites like Secunia and try to do their online scan for the updates I have on my machine. Bothersome, but not a deal breaker . . . yet anyway. And I'm not sure that the loss of an Active X heavy piece of software is all that bad. Still, I'd like to have it working for the occasional site that uses it.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

You can start with this, http://raproducts.org/javara.html

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

So do you think this JavaRa thing will do a better job than Revo?? Why would I have not gotten these errors before this?? The only thing that changed on my machine before this happened was those MS patches. As I said though, I can't yet implicate the MS 500 pound gorilla. At the moment it's only an ungeeklike cause and effect scenario. I realize that each machine is unique, and I've not seen this problem reported elsewhere in connection with the patches. Whatever . . . I guess I'll add it to my troubleshooting arsenal and try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

BobJam,
I'm not saying it will cure your issue, just that it does what it says it does.
It found bits relating to Java that Revo didn't, for me anyway.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Thanks . . . that answers my question. I was wondering if it dug more out because it was specific to Java. Seems like your experience confirms that.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Bob, I have recommended JavaRa before, though the URL has changed:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....fecting-ie

It finds old installs of Java, or even just bits and pieces leftover from previous installs, and deletes them. It worked for me and the poster in that previous thread. When you install a new version of Java it does not uninstall the previous one. Since I learned this, I now always manually uninstall the older Java before installing the latest version.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Hey ScottW,

That thread you linked to looks encouraging. Was putting that JavaRa on the back burner, but now I think I will move it up to the next troubleshooting step.

Thanks to both Scotts, and I will report back on how it goes.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Quick report . . . IT FINALLY (HINT) WORKED, but there's a substantial twist. It was version 6 update 10 build 1.6.0_10-rc-b28 . . . BIG HINT. Don't mean to be coy but gotta' go now, and the details would require more time to compose. Just wanted to report that it worked. Will post back with the details later because they may help someone else with the same problem.

Thanks again Scotts.

BTW, it had nothing to do with the MS Updates.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Glad we can help :)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Bob, your message really is coy. This from the guy whose posts are usually 10 paragraphs and don't fit in my browser window without scrolling down. Why, it's downright vague of you! :-)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.