How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

Jailbreaking apple products

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nrsanders09
  • Latest reply from hatryst
  • Topic Viewed 1942 times

nrsanders09
nrsanders09

i have been searching online and really considering jailbreaking my iphone 4 but the one thing i want to know before i even start the process is that if my phone has a software malfunction will i still be able to factory reset the phone before having to see an apple representative. if anyone has any information on this please help me figure this out. thank you

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

There are risks, particularly voiding your phone's warranty with Apple(if any).

If something goes wrong you can place your iPhone in DFU mode and restore it via iTunes.

Personally, I enjoy jailbreaks, rooting, and all that good stuff.

Posted 1 year ago

nrsanders09
nrsanders09

see i did it to my old android phone and had no problems with it, but the only thing that ever seems to go wrong with my phones is software malfunctions lol never had a cracked screen or anything. but i know if i jailbreak my iphone there is so much more that i can do with it and would open a whole new aspect of things for me, i just wanna make sure that i can bring it back to factory settings if something happens. i already know if it goes back to factory settings im perfectly fine cus im not dumb enough to actually tell apple that i voided the warranty especially with me having apple care lol

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Will not guarantee that you can restore the iPhone if something goes wrong. I've restored several iPhone via iTunes but not because something went wrong during the jailbreak process. In fact, til' now I haven't had any issues jailbreaking/rooting a phone. As long as you are good at following instructions you should be good.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If you can afford an iPhone and Telcom Pricing Plan, you can certainly afford some Professional Software with Support to modify the device.
http://iphoneunlockeasily.com/pricing

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

@Rick, those websites are like "speedupmypc.com" type of sites but for phones. I am yet to see one of those site that actually has a good reputation.

Apple will not approve whether you jailbreak for free or if you pay for it. It's a straight forward process to jailbreak for free.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Post a Tutorial or Link.

Am just mad at myself because I know nothing about Phone Technology because I can't afford monthly bill for such devices so I can learn to program them.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

I'd post a tutorial or link, just need what iPhone it is and what firmware it's running on..

And Rick, I'm mad at myself because I don't know how to program at all : (

(BTW: I took advantage of a special Amazon had going on ($0.99 for my Samsung Galaxy S2) with 2yr commitment : \ )

Posted 1 year ago

nrsanders09
nrsanders09

thank you all for the advice im gunna take the leap and hope it all goes well lol and raphoenix here is a link that is a pretty good tutorial its the one i am using for my iphone but if you are trying to root an adroid or something let me know i will try to find a good one for you

http://www.iphonehacks.com/201.....dsn0w.html

and thank you all for the advice on this. i have a good feeling about it now and already really liking this website lol

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I must be talking to wrong folks at Verizon then cause they keep offering me +$200 / MO voice/data plan with CAP even if I purchase the BEST Cell phone available on the market out right in cold cash. :( :(

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

I reluctantly went with Sprint since they are the ones who offer "truly unlimited data"...I pay roughly aroung $160/mth for 2 lines my wife's and mine..

Evrything is unlimited except for the minutes(1500 min/month) unlimited nights and weekends...but we don't worry much about them cause we text more than we use the phone.

You should check it out at Amazon.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@CompWiz,

THANKS !!!!

I will check it out because I've been with Verizon since 1999 and now they apparently want me gone !!

@nrsanders09,

Great Post !!

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

No prob. Rick.

Posted 1 year ago

nrsanders09
nrsanders09

@raphoenix
thanks trying to help out as much as i can cus ik how hard it can be to understand tutorials sometimes

Posted 1 year ago

nrsanders09
nrsanders09

another question when jailbreaking the iPhone 4 should i use DFU ramdisk method or the backup/restore method? im new to jailbreaking

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

First backup your data.

According to the article you posted you don't have to put the iPhone in DFU mode..just download, exract, and execute the program(with iPhone connected via USB).

Posted 1 year ago

nrsanders09
nrsanders09

i jailbroke my iphone using redsn0w 0.9.14b2 and it works great but im having an issue on getting the siri app i downloaded it keeps coming up with sorry i dont not understand for simple commands like text so and so or anything like that. any ideas on how to fix this or how to get siri to work for me so this problem goes away?

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

And the issue with Siri started after the jailbreak?

Posted 1 year ago

nrsanders09
nrsanders09

ive got the iphone 4 and it doesnt come with siri i put it on after the jailbreak but every time i try doing something with siri it keeps coming up with sorry i dont understand. it might just be a bad update or something but i was curious if anyone else has delt with this issue before

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

Woah woah, slow down...! You're new to jailbreaking, so proceed with caution. You might end up with a bricked phone.

Listen. You cannot ask for jailbreaking help by simply saying "I have a 4S, how to jailbreak it?".

You need to know some things:

1. What's the iOS version you're running, and what's the version you're going to jailbreak (and whether it is jailbreakable or not).
2. What's the current status of your device (factory unlocked or software/hardware unlock). Jailbreaking might cause you to lose your unlock.

Next, just search on YouTube in the following format:
"Jailbreak *iPhone model* iOS *iOS version* "
For example, "jailbreak iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1". Check out the top video results.

A LOT of people have very helpful videos on how to jailbreak, depending on the condition.

Please do not trust sites like jailbreakmyiphone.com or stuff like that. You have to DIY, or get someone to do it for you.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!